2002 A4 1.8t vs. 3.0 or 2001 2.8

I'm in the market for a used Audi (2001-03) A4. I've driven the 1.8t (2003) as well as a 2001 S4 (hah, no comparison between the two). I did like the feel of the 1.8t, pretty smooth throughout the gears with the execption of starting off in first. I have yet to drive a 2.8 or

3.0. As far as powertrain performance, what is your comparison? Gas mileage is a little better on the 1.8t, but what else is there? What about aftermarket performance add ons? Thanks for the advise, I'm hoping to make a decision in a week or so.
Reply to
tealetm

If aftermarket performance add-ons was the only metric, you'd do better with the 1.8t or the S4. There's tons of goodies for either of those, while - short of a full-on supercharger - nobody has done much useful to boost the pedestrian na 2.8. And the na 3.0 - which actually seems to be pretty darned strong as it is - will also be limited as far as add-ons that'll increase power, but on the up-side you may find you don't need any more power...

Reply to
daytripper

I have the 1.9TDI Quattro (2003 model), red "I", 130bhp. Produces about

230lb/ft of torque, and the four wheel drive helps get all that torque down onto the tarmac.

It beat an Escort RS2000 off the lights, and gave a Cossie a good run for its money down the motorway. The best bit - >50mpg if you drive it sensibly, and high 30s if you drive like your arse end is on fire. Which, errm, I tend to do. :-)

Reply to
Glenn Richards

Nice - but not on his short list...and if he's in the USA, you can't even buy a diesel passenger auto in some states...

Reply to
daytripper

You won't get near a cosworth in a 1.9DTI, I just about kept up with one in a 225bhp TT, and if it was an Escort Cosworth you gotta be kidding me lol

0-60 time of 5.9 secs compared to a 10.0 sec 0-60 time in the 130ps TDI

Top speed Escort cosworth 155mph limited, a 1.9TDI top speed is 120, 100mph and it runs out of puff

Unless it was a 1.6 escort badged as cossie :)

Even a 2.5TDI won't keep up with a TT or an S3 (same car)

Reply to
Ronny

I have the 00 S4, which I bought because my wife has the 98 passat w/2.8. I loved the stability and handling of the car, and the engine is smooth and strong from midrange up. I just needed a few more ponies since it was to be my 'fun' car.

Like the other posters point out, you can chip the 1.8t easily for more 'go', but the 2.8 requires more coin to bump it's HP.

I've driven both engines, and I'd take the 2.8.

Carl Howarth

Not a new one, but I think you can still buy them used.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith