2002 A4 - Beep beep beep beep

Okay,

I start my 2002 A4 1.8T, tick it into reverse, and I (intermittently) hear four beeps from the rear of the vehicle.

Does anyone have any idea what could be making the noise?

Thank you very much.

Jimbo.

Reply to
Jimbo

Close proximity signal perhaps?

Reply to
AustinMini.OsiTech.Net

If nothing is behind you I suggest you clean dirt off the proximity sensor.

Mike Holland

Reply to
Mike Holland

I'd agree with you.... If I had parking sensors... But I don't :-)

Jimbo.

Reply to
Jimbo

Difficult to make any sensible suggestion without knowing what the beeps sound like. Is it possibly the sounder which can be enabled to give an audible indication when the door locks/alarm are set? Perhaps some strange interaction between the reversing light circuitry and the alarm sounder???

Reply to
Peter Bell

"Jimbo" wrote

Could be an audible alarm that's supposed to alert anybody finding themselves behind your car when you engage "R". This is a standard feature on all trucks here in Norway, and is getting common on regular cars as well. Sometimes this feature is installed by replacing the reverse-light bulbs with a special bulb that includes both the light and the alarm - sure you don't have one of these installed?

Regards Rune

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

That wouldn't explain it happening only intermittently (by which I presume that Jimbo means that it doesn't happen everytime), or only four beeps - surely the reverse beeper would continue until the car is taken out of reverse gear.

Reply to
Peter Bell

"Peter Bell" wrote

Ooops. Didn't notice 'intermittent'...

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

It might be the parking assistant... Was there any objects behind the car when that happend or was the car dirty or snowy or icy/frozen?

Reply to
Juho

Try looking at the earlier posts in this thread! Jimbo states that his car doesn't have the parking assistance option fitted.

Reply to
Peter Bell

OK, here's a perhaps-a-bility: Do you have a CD changer back there? And if so, is there any sort of CD start up signal, or tipping alarm, or empty CD holder signal, that might be triggered by those initial jiggles of the car? (ie: does this happen when your sound system is turned off?)

[And... I stipulate in advance that I may be an idiot to even suggest this.] ;-)

Lloyd

*****

*

Reply to