2002 A4 - Beep beep beep beep

Okay,
I start my 2002 A4 1.8T, tick it into reverse, and I (intermittently) hear four beeps from the rear of the vehicle.
Does anyone have any idea what could be making the noise?
Thank you very much.
Jimbo.
Close proximity signal perhaps?
--
_________________________________
http://austinmini.ositech.net

Difficult to make any sensible suggestion without knowing what the beeps sound like. Is it possibly the sounder which can be enabled to give an audible indication when the door locks/alarm are set? Perhaps some strange interaction between the reversing light circuitry and the alarm sounder???

"Jimbo" wrote

Could be an audible alarm that's supposed to alert anybody finding themselves behind your car when you engage "R". This is a standard feature on all trucks here in Norway, and is getting common on regular cars as well. Sometimes this feature is installed by replacing the reverse-light bulbs with a special bulb that includes both the light and the alarm - sure you don't have one of these installed?
Regards Rune

That wouldn't explain it happening only intermittently (by which I presume that Jimbo means that it doesn't happen everytime), or only four beeps - surely the reverse beeper would continue until the car is taken out of reverse gear.

"Peter Bell" wrote

Ooops. Didn't notice 'intermittent'...
It might be the parking assistant... Was there any objects behind the car when that happend or was the car dirty or snowy or icy/frozen?

Try looking at the earlier posts in this thread! Jimbo states that his car doesn't have the parking assistance option fitted.

Jimbo wrote:

OK, here's a perhaps-a-bility: Do you have a CD changer back there? And if so, is there any sort of CD start up signal, or tipping alarm, or empty CD holder signal, that might be triggered by those initial jiggles of the car? (ie: does this happen when your sound system is turned off?)
[And... I stipulate in advance that I may be an idiot to even suggest this.] ;-)
Lloyd *****
*