2002 A4 - Headlights & Dash Lights

Hi all,
Recently acquired a 2002 A4 and am very happy with it so far.
One thing that's been driving me slightly nutty though, is turning on the headlights at night. Unlike other cars that I have driven, the
dash lights do not seem to be tied at all to the headlights, so there is no visual cue (i.e. can't see dash!) that you need to turn the headlights on. Thus I keep forgetting to turn them on.
Am I just going to have to live with this, or is there a way to have the dash illuminate when the headlights are on, but stay dim otherwise? (I should note that Canadian DRLs are enabled here, so perhaps that's the problem). I have played with the + / - buttons but, again, these seem independent of the headlights.
Many thanks.
Bill
Bill Klein wrote:

Lol you lost me, when its dark you turn on your lights to see, the dash only illuminates when you turn your lights on, the stereo stays illuminated all the time.
I dont understand how you can forget to turn on your lights? you need them to see where your going
Ronny wrote:

I don't know when Audi changed the color of the speedo and rpm dials on the A4, but AFAIK when they were all red (previously) they were on all the time regardless of the headlight setting.
In tunnels, e.g. they got forgotten very often.
Regards
Wolfgang
--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI

Interior lights have never been on all the time, at least since 1995 when the first A4 was released, it must be a canadian thing with DRL, around 99 was when they went from all red to the new colours i think
Ronny wrote:

Yep, my A6 is a 9/99 build and was one of the first with the blue lightblue lights.
I just didn't know when they changed it on the A4.
Regards
Wolfgang
--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI

"Ronny" wrote

Actually they have. Not sure which model years exactly, but I have read numerous comments from A4 (b5 and b6) owners stating that their dashboard is always lit up. And I can see how that can be confusing to Bill. You hop in the car at night, you start it up, you see your dashboard lit up, so you assume that the exterior lights are on as well... Thankfully my '01 A4 is not like that.
It's a good thing that you can at least reprogram it, as per Peter's post.
Cheers,
Pete
snipped-for-privacy@orbit.org (Bill Klein) wrote:

[Snip]

Yes, the illumination of the scales and the pointers can be altered on the B6 chassis. You'll need someone with a VAG-COM, or a cooperative dealer. Module 17, Adaption Channel 19 :
0 - Nothing lit until exterior lights on 1 - Pointers lit all the time 2 - Scales lit all the time 3 - Pointers and scales lit all the time.
However, I'm not sure whether the DRL setting affects this.

The dashboard on my 2004 A4 seems to have an *active* illumination; where it brightens and dims according to ambient light conditions - a feature I quite like actually! Of course it is always illuminated when headlights are on.
Go figure.
-darwin mccullough
(Bill Klein) wrote:

This feature has been present for quite a long time. Even my 1996 A4 did this.

It would be strange if it were otherwise!

well in 1996 i was only 16 years old! i'm just an audi rookie

Thanks for the responses. After a bit more searching around it looks like I'm not alone in my frustration:
http://www.audilife.com/forums/showthread.php?tg08
Bill