2002 Audi A4 Noise

I just bought an Audi A4 2002. I is great running over 40mph on freeway. But it is kind of tickling noisy when I accelerate from idle speed. I feel the vibration and noise from padle and wheel. During the first 2-3 seconds on start, I can obviously feel the car move much slower than the normal Audi, after then, it runs good. The other thing is that when the car decelerate to about 20mph, I can feel the knocking noise. It is a kind of low pitch noise. And every morning when I cold start up the car, it has a crazy noise like diesel car. But it runs away 2 or 3 mins after.

I am juust wondering what can be the problem of those symptoms. I am going to dealer (not audi dealer, the dealer I bought this car from) next Monday. I hope I can know something before I go there.

Reply to
michael.an.wei

I read some article about Audi noise. There seems to be 2 major reasons for that. [1] The timing belt tensioner is too loose or too tight. [2] The viscosity of engine oil is not right.

Did anybody have the similar problem. Can anybody shed a light with me?

-- Michael Wei

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
michael.an.wei

What engine? How can anyone even begin to guess without knowing what engine is in the car?

Reply to
msheppy

Reply to
michael.an.wei

Reply to
michael.an.wei

With the rattling and lack of performance it sounds like a broken waste gate actuator (part of the turbo). It can be replaced separately from the turbo for USD 180 plus three hours labor. They will probably try to get you to buy another K03 turbo and at you mileage that might be a good idea as they tend to go out at

90K to 100K miles.

It could just be a bad diverter valve but the rattling is symptomatic of the actuator being bad.

I replaced my broken waste gate actuator last May but had DIY help and access to free used parts.

TonyJ

98.5 A4 1.8 TQM APR

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Tony

Tony, thanks for your reply.

It only happens when I try to start from the idle speed. After it gets speed over 40 mph, it runs fine. I would think it is barely a turbo problem since it happens at too slow speed for Turbo to kick in. Any thoughts on that?

Reply to
michael.an.wei

I can't think of another likely candidate.

Still, when the Wast gate actuator is bad the rod connecting to the wast gate rattles easily and could make a noise just from engine vibration which is more at lower engine speeds.

I think I remember that this is new to you so I would say that you may not be aware of loss of turbo boost because you haven't driven it when it is correct.

When mine was bad I couldn't wait to get it fixed. Boost is addictive especially when the ECU is chipped and boost is 16 - 18 PSI rather than the stock 7 - 11. I have the basic 1 bar APR chip. Makes it a completely different ride.

You should c> Tony, thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Tony