2002 Audi S8 - A6 Questions

I've been watching a 2002 Audi S8 sit on the dealer's lot since February of this year. When I first test drove it, they wanted $59,000. They've dropped the price a bit, but are still asking $54,000. It has about 25,000
miles on it, and has the Silver exterior and black Alcantra leather interior. Nice car with 19 inch wheels and chrome after market look.
I think this car, if it hasn't rotted by sitting for almost a year, should sell for about $44,000 if what I'm seeing on the internet is correct.
I was looking at a new A6 in the $50,000 range. I was hoping to get a 6 cylinder under $44,000 but that doesn't look possible, and the 4.2 as they are coming in are over $55,000.
I'm thinking that a 2002 S8 might be a better car than a new 2005 A6, and more fun, but I've never owned an Audi.
Would you trust a 2002 Audi S8 mechanically, electronically?
Would you buy one over a 2005 six cylinder new A 6 for roughly the same price?
What do you think a good price on a 2002 S8 with 25,000 miles that's been sitting on the lot for 9 months should be worth?
I've driven both, and they are both wonderful car. The 360 hp S8 seems to be a more breath taking experience, but the new A6, even in the six cylinder is a wonderful car.
Thanks very much.

Various components may rot, but at least the aluminium body should be okay!
The S8 is a very capable car, and should be fine over in the US of A. One of the problems in the UK is finding suitably sized parking spaces - even my RS6 protrudes beyond the marked spaces in most public car parks.

The 4.2 V8 is a peach. Iv'e just bought an S4 2004 (344bhp) 6 speed man. The engine is a tight fit in the A4 shell but I'm glad they got it in. John