2002 timeing belt 1.8 turbo

Another newbie question.
First thanks for the help on the oil leak Secondly I am wondering at what point I need to replace the timing belt. On the old V.W. with dual over head cams I found that 60,000 was the limit. How
about the 1.8 engine
Thanks in advance Gary
"Gary Harris" wrote

If you want to stay safe, 60K miles would be the time to change it (tensioner, rollers, water pump, etc. as well). The owner's manual suggests much higher limits, but these things are known to fail prematurely and you really don't want to be stuck with an engine full of bent valves, unless you have some sort of an extented warranty that'll cover the repairs in case SHTF.
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/audi.2002.maintenance.sched.pdf
Cheers,
Pete

The early 1.8Ts were cursed with the "spawn of the devil" cambelt tensioner which was the cause of a good number of premature failures and an 80K service interval. Since about late '99 this was fixed with a new design of tensioner & so technically the interval on yours is probably 105K miles. Personally I wouldn't leave it much past 80K but also have the inspections done according to the schedule - that way if anything happens you have compied with scheduled maintenance. Speak to your dealer - you may find you have 100K/10yr powertrain warranty now depending on whether you are the first owner or not.
All in all its a bit of a lottery & so if you think the engine has been worked hard then change it earlier - its a lot cheaper than getting an engine rebuilt.
"Iain Miller" wrote

Yes, only technically. I've seen a number of premature failures on 2000 and 2001 1.8Ts on AudiWorld, so whatever they redisigned didn't fix anything.
Starting with 2004 model year, Audi actually reduced the timing belt change interval from 105K miles to 75K miles.
Cheers,
Pete