2003 A4 Glovebox repair question

I have a co-worker friend whose glovebox hinge is broken on one side and the dealer is going to charge him $850 to fix it!
I looked at it and I can see a small pin underneath that looks like it would
have to be removed to replace that part. I tried to remove it, but it's in there pretty good and I didn't want to damage anything. I don't know how to get it out.
It looks like the inside of the glovebox would be replaced with both hinges that are molded onto it. I don't know why they would charge him so much to replace this part when I know it probably will take them 10 minutes, and the part probably doesn't cost a lot.
I have another friend that works at Autoland and could probably get me the part for cost, I just don't know how I would go about replacing it.
I just hate seeing this guy getting ripped off by the dealer.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
John
I cant help you with the answer to this, but if you go onto the below and post a question on these you will be in a better chance of a reply and info etc..
Cheers.
RickT
http://www.audi-forums.com/f33-audi-a4-rs4-and-s4-forum.htm
And
http://www.audilife.com/forums /
John, It's true that it would probably take a few minutres to R&R the glovebox, the price is probably mostly a reflection of the fact that the part is not expected to wear out. The price may be more justifyable if they have to replace the entire box, and it has to be matched to an interior trim, etc. If you want to find a used glovebox, with hinges attached, try searching on www.car-part.com You may be able to repair the hinge - using some sheet metal/screws/etc. - since nobody will see it tucked under the dash. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

the
would
hinges
the
Thanks for your help. I will look into this further.
John