2003 A4 Tdi

Have got message on panel that "Left Brake light" defective but find that bulb is fine though not lighting on braking.(Right side working ) Any fuses or anywhere else I can check?

Reply to
owen

Please explain what "Left Brake light" defective but find that bulb is fine though not lighting on braking. means.

Reply to
Bill

When you say the 'bulb is fine' I assume that means that it is lighting up when you turn on the lights but isn't lighting up when braking...? If so, need to replace the bulb as there are 2 separate filaments in the bulb. The braking one has burnt out.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Brake light is a single filament one and works when connected across 12V battery. Does not work when brake pedal depressed with ignition on. Right brake light does light when brake pedal depressed. I get buzzer and message on DIS; "Left Brake Light". My difficulty is that the brake light bulb is good, I have tried changing with no change to symptoms. Obviously there is some interruption to feed to the brake light. (All other functions, reversing lights, side lights, fog lights and indicators work fine.) I was hoping someone might know of a fuse or something "easy" in circuit before I have to start tracing wiring from Rear cluster to brake pedal! Help!

Reply to
owen

"owen" wrote in news:g6aovb$bbe$ snipped-for-privacy@reader01.news.esat.net:

Owen

We have a 2003 A4 and have had several times where there were problems with the sockets not the bulbs. Recently tyhe left front directional stopped working and filaments were fine but the contact wire on the base of the bulb was burned through. A new bulb didn't solve the problem and the contacts of the socket had to be sanded for better contact and bent slightly also. A cheap multimeter will go a long way in tracing where the problem is, both for checking voltage and continuity.

HTH

Jerry

Reply to
A Lurker