2003 A6Q Avant - How long can it just sit?

Going on a long vacation. How long can my 2003 A6Q Avant just sit without being started? It'll be garaged but the garage is not heated. I live in New York and I suspect that we might have below freezing temperatures during my absence. I was surprised that the owners manual did not address this topic. But the only topic I could think of to look up in the index was "storage".

Your input will be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
eBob.com

This may give you some pointers:

I googled for +"long term storage" +car

Reply to
BBO

A google search for 'laying up car' brings up many sites - the first two being:

Peter Bell

The message from "eBob.com" contains these words:

You don't say how long.

Don't worry about the cold - cars survive cold all the time and as long as your antifreeze is up to strength you'll be OK. I'd empty the washer bottles though - not 'cos they freeze but 'cos they grow slime which blocks the squirters.

Leave the handbrake off. They have a habit of seizing on if left for ages.

Consider a battery charger. Not the sort for charging batteries but the sort that maintains a steady charge during periods of disuse. The classic car people use 'em all the time. Keeps the battery charged without overcharging it. There's an article about them here

I'm sure such things are available in the US. Other than that, as long as you're not away for several months I wouldn't bother standing it up on bricks to relieve the tyres, I've had cars stand for six months without tyre problems.

Rust isn't usually a problem with Audis, but try to put the car away when it's dry and arrange to have some ventilation.

Finally - petrol ages and can make it hard to start a car when it's gone stale. You can get fuel stabilisers from marine shops, outboards are prone to this 'cos people only use them for a few months a year. You'll need to put it in a few miles before you park up or it won't have got through the pipes. Alternatively just store it with the tank very nearly empty and fill up when you get back.

Reply to
Guy King