2004 A4 Avant installtion of class 1 trailer hitch

Has anyone experience w/ installion of the Dalan or Curtis hitches available on the web? Specifically, it appears the dual mufflers need to be removed.
Removing the rear rubber hangers alone is insufficient to create access to drill into the tire well. What else needs to be released to obtain access?
Thanks!

I haven't installed one on this car yet, but I'd like to offer a tip:
After drilling the holes, paint the edges of the holes to help keep the metal from rusting out around the mounting points.