2004 A4 Xenon headight leveling sensor warning

So my 2004 A4 was parked in an outdoor garage for about a week. During this week it rained a bit. When I came back and drove it home, the warning light for the xenon headlight leveling sensor kept going on. (looks like a headlight with an exclamantion point in it) The lights seem to work fine, but this sensor keeps going off randomly.

Where is this sensor? And is it possibly that heavy rains could somehow have shorted something out?

I had to go to the dealer to get some new keys anyway, and mentioned this problem (which started yesterday). He seemed to not be able to find the problem--I thought that maybe the fixed it but halfway through the drive home, the warning came on again.

I have to go back to the dealer in a week or so, so I'll bring it up again. But it's annoying--anyone else have this problem?

Reply to
hmmmmm

The indicator on my 2002 allroad came on once, but after I turned off the ignition and restarted the car it went away never to return (knocking on wood). This is in Oregon, where it rains all the time.

I have to go back to the dealer in a week or so, so I'll bring it up again. But it's annoying--anyone else have this problem?

Reply to
Jim Battan

Yeah mine went away--but only when the left headlight totally cleared up (2 days later). Aren't these Xenon headlights sealed? Should I get one replaced if it starts to let water/condensation seep in? I'm assuming the sensor is in the light and it was all fogged up (although when I suggested that to the dealer they seemed to think that wasn't the case)

Reply to
hmmmmm
2002 A4, warning light came on after accident. When I picked it up from the body shop, the light was still on - they said I had to take it to the dealer as they have a special tool to reset the lights (not just the sensor, they actually had to mechanically adjust the self-leveling lights). Took it in, they took care of it in about 20 minutes, and it hasn't come on since. No way could rain have caused your problem. Your dealer sounds clueless...
Reply to
Bob

Are you sure the lights work fine? When the HID Xenon lights are first switched on (and working correctly), they will automatically lower and then reset the level (park car a few metres away from, facing a wall - with engine and ignition OFF, turn on ignition, then turn on lights and watch!). This calibration check, nor the auto leveling won't work if the warning message is displayed in the DIS.

There are two sensors, one front and one rear, located between the lower suspension arms and the chassis, I think on the left side only. They are prone to road spray/snow/gravel/general crap, and are well-known to seize and fail.

I'd change your dealer - see below.

It will re-set itself each time you switch off the ignition, but if the fault isn't sorted, will re-illuminate the warning.

Yup - one rear sensor changed under warranty. Problem persisted, and dealer found a TSB regarding an "A" pillar connection which works loose when going over bumps. If you have the base or SE models with the soft suspension, then this particular fault might not be as obvious with the Sport / S-line / S4 models. Now sorted

Sean - 2003 B6 S4 v8

Reply to
Juan King