2004 A6 2.7T injector/valve noise and irregular idle

Just accepted delivery on new A6 2.7T 6 spd MT. I have less than 400miles on vehicle.Car seems to run fine, but at idle it is not smooth; enough so
that even the tach needle fluctuates slightly. There doesn't seem to be a miss, more like a hot cam in the muscle cars of the 70's. Irregular idle is present even when engine is warm. Amount of valve/tappet/injector noise from under the hood also surprised me. You don't hear it in the car. Before I go to the dealer, the car is quite new, I hoped to get some feedback from the newsgroup if this noise and idle is to be expected.
Thank you
Vincent Reppucci CT
--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

I would wait until it has a few more miles on it before taking it back to the dealer but what you are describing does not sound normal. You should not have any tappet noise at this mileage - I know the car is new but check the oil.. Also - you can expect more tappet noise if doing short runs.

is
I have a similar problem admittedly with an older car (2000 model 2.8). The car does seem to be a little bit top-end noisy on tickover and when you're sat in the car it vibrates slightly every so often with slight rev fluctuation. Otherwise it drives very smooth. I have demonstrated this to the dealer and the they said because the idle is so low on the v6s it can vibrate slightly. He also said it occurs on all the v6s(?????). I have asked this question on this newsgroup and elsewhere and there seems to be a lot of people having similar experiences.
If I were you I would report the problem to the dealer anyway and get it checked so at least you have reported it early on in case it becomes an issue later. It will do no harm to tell them anyway.
Hope this helps
Richard

is