2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2

Page 1 of 2
I have a 2000 540i, and am looking to upgrade. It looks like a dead heat between the 05 545i and 05 A6 4.2.
BMW has put me in such a difficult position with their pricing, body
design, and iDrive.
The first time I saw a 2005 545i I was like 'YUCK!!!'. I mean I really wanted to like it but I just could not as hard as I tried. It truly looks terrible to me, my girlfriend had the exact same reaction.
Meanwhile, the A6 is a very pedestrian Audi design - better in that it doesnt bother me.
The Audi is limited to 130 MPH and although thats unfortunate, I think I've only exceeded that once in the 540i anyway, and just briefly. The 540i is slightly faster in acceleration thanks to the torque if not the HP.
I know I'll like driving the BMW more, thats what got me the 540i. I've driven Audis - they are 'smooth' - real smooth, but Im not looking for smooth, I like 'fun'.
Anyways - opinions?

And you like the new Audi styling with the big snoz?

The latest Car & Driver likes it a lot, but they don't like the sport suspension.
Floyd
I'm a German car fan myself (have two Mercedes) and have been looking at the 5-series (hate iDrive) and the new A6 as well. However, I've had horrible experiences with Mercedes service, and a friend has had similar experience with his older Audi A6. I actually stopped in and looked at the new Acura RL yesterday, and I was very impressed overall. I didn't drive it however, and I'm sure its 300-HP V6 isn't in the same torque league as the German V8s. However, for $49,000 loaded with Navi, all-wheel-drive, e.t.c. (there are no options), it's a bargin. I just wish the backseat was bigger.
Randy
On 02 Dec 2004 18:48:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randy S) wrote:

Forget the Honda's. Err, Acura's.
I looked at the TSX, TL and the G35X and found all wanting. A lot. Got an 2004 A4 1.8 q almost fully loaded. The Japanese are too much like American car makers: rather than finesse, they will give you too much HP for the front wheels and hope you don't get the implications of what they have done. And the cars themselves while priced 'well' miss on a few key areas (those areas are largely personal). Compare feature by feature and either Audi or BMW will win over the Japanese.
Randy, I also looked at the RL -have driven twice now.. not the same class as BMW, but the standard features in the RL are great. Got the Blue Tooth working with my phone the last time I drive one. I'm thinking this way too.. but doubt I'll make the move to the RL.. but have not ruled it out yet.
sc

the
with
and
no
I think that the 130 mph limit is a bit understated. This may be done to keep the claim within tire speed ratings.
At an on track driving 'school' last spring I was driving a friend's '04 S4 4.2 (which is also supposed to have a limit of 130) and was hitting 150+ on the straight with a lot of room to go.
Tony
Seth Brundle wrote:

"Tony" wrote

According to the US specs, the S4 is electronically limited to 155 mph. And of course you can remove that limit by getting an aftermarket chip/software as well.
Cheers,
Pete

Although I haven't taken mine up past that value, the limiter on the US S4 is on paper only (not actually turned on in the ECU software), according to some reputable sources on the AudiWorld forums. The car should top out at or around 170 (assuming you had a place that you could actually reach that speed).
- Charlie
In a previous posting, snipped-for-privacy@ic.sunysb.edu (Charlie Giannetto) had the audacity to say:
: Although I haven't taken mine up past that value, the limiter on the :US S4 is on paper only
<Japanese voice>
Ahh, rawsuit protection! ;}
</Japanese voice>
:(not actually turned on in the ECU software), :according to some reputable sources on the AudiWorld forums. The car :should top out at or around 170 (assuming you had a place that you :could actually reach that speed).
Are you sure it's not actually limited at all, assuming the source rumour is correct? 'Cause I believe even the (original) Euro spec cars have a 155 mph governor... which I personally don't think is outrageous[ly low], but clearly a small proportion of owners does.
--
E.R. aka SJG aka Ricardo
present location: vancouver bc canada

I've read of people exploring the limits of the car on AudiWorld, although I have no first hand experience. I believe that the limiter value is indeed set to 155 in the ECU but the limiter flag itself is actually set to false, which disables the function. The lack of a speed limiter isn't really an issue since the speed (even at 155) is still well beyond any legally acceptable level on any public road in the US. 155 is something that the European community has agreed on I believe so I'm not sure the fact that it might not be implemented on a US spec car would be all that significant.
If you would like to look into this further, I suggest going to the AudiWorld.com or B6S4.com web sites and searching for information on "speed limiter" or "governor".
- Charlie 04 S4 MT6
In a previous posting, snipped-for-privacy@ic.sunysb.edu (Charlie Giannetto) had the audacity to say:
:The lack of a :speed limiter isn't really an issue since the speed (even at 155) :is still well beyond any legally acceptable level on any public road :in the US.
True, but then so is 95 mph! :}
:155 is something that the European community has agreed :on I believe
I understand it's just a gentleman's agreement between certain German mfrs. Porsche is not coperating! :}
--
E.R. aka SJG aka Ricardo
present location: vancouver bc canada

Exactly. The german manufacturers BMW, Mercedes and VW Group agreed upon making cars not faster than 155 mph. Maybe also other manufacturers took part, but they currently do not sell such fast cars in Germany. The reason for that was avoiding a state law (which would probably have limited the cars at a lower level) and avoiding a reckless speed race. They also wanted to avoid the need for use of expensive and uncomfortable high performance tires. When the agreeent was imposed some years ago, it was not regarded likely that the manufacturers would make sedans with 500 HP;-)
Currently it seems that the manufacturers seek ways out of this agreement to serve the needs of the speed-addicts. So Mercedes limits only the cars sold under the brand name Mercedes, while the Mercedes-AMG models can go faster (up to 200 mph). BMW offers higher speed limits for their M-cars under certain condition (M3 CSL with 175 mph for buyers who can show a race drivers license). IMHO the marketing problem for the company is to sell the top of the line cars, when they are not faster than the cheaper models of the line.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
[Snip]

... and Audi (or, rather, quattro gmbh) fudge the issue by saying that their cars are limited to 155mph (or, to be precise, 250kph), but then describing this as a 'soft' limit. It is quite clear that the RS4 and RS6 models are capable of comfortably exceeding 250kph (not that I've been brave enough to prove this in our land of 70mph limits).

An interesting thing (at least to me anyway :^) came to mind while reading this. It seems that for Europeans, when speaking about a "fast" car...it is top speed that comes to mind, while generally for Americans it is acceleration. Of course this has to do with speed limits I suppose, and maybe motorsports, but even for me when someone talks about how fast a car is I immediately think of acceleration 0-60 or 0-100, rather than *top* speed.

Maybe it has to do with the speed limit. Drag racing for example is a true american sports, which does not have many fans in Germany, while we have 24 hours endurance races (where BMW recently won a class prize with a close- to-stock BMW 320d).
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Frank Kemper wrote:

The story we got over here was that such an "arms race" would lead to a political backlash from the car-hating Green Party, resulting in actual laws that would be even more restrictive. So the carmakers agreed on the 155 MPH limit.
They also wanted to avoid the need for use of

A serious concern, with safety also. How can the safety of such high speed tires be assured over time? Tire technology wasn't as advanced then either.

No kidding. I remember when car magazines featuring 500 HP Ruf-modified Porsches, which seemed incredibly exotic at the time. Now such cars seem commonplace.

Ah, you Germans are so orderly (which is probably why you can have roads with no speed limits). Over here, any idiot can buy such things -- and they do.

Americans are not so logical. They want the "bestest" one, no matter the cost. It's all about the bling, baby! Besides, it's only $50 more per month!
Matt O.

Well, the car-hating Green Party was not member of the government, when the agreement was imposed, and even today their influence is way too small to bring us a general speed limit, even if they liked to;-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

Over here, too. There are lots of BMW tuners who do not limit their cars. Alpina has just introduced their brad new Alpina B5 with a five litre supercharged V8 and 500 HP. It is about as expensive as a new M5, features about the same acceleration and runs at least 30 miles faster - with an ordinary torque converter autobox. Currently Alpina is considering limiting the beast at 300 km/h (approx 186 mph) due to safety reasons.
And I am pretty sure that there are many companies, which legally remove the speed limiter for you (but I do not know what the insurance companies think about that).
I think the decision of BMW to sell the 280 kph CSL only to certified race drivers was some sort of marketing hype: They wanted to demonstrate that the M3 CSL is a street legal race car. It was no decision enforced by law.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

Fitted similarly, the cars have a difference of 4 or 5 grand. At this price level that's not much. I-drive isn't an issue unless you make it so. By and large the magazines are essentially wrong with their reviews of i-drive. Body design? If you don't like it...don't buy it. I wouldn't buy a car which I didn't apprciate the exterior styling.
I own a 545i.

I think differently. I think it is quite nice looking...even the large grill. Audi is more an "everyman's" car. Caught somewhere between being best at anything. Reviews say it rides hard....too hard. But I haven't had an opportunity behind the wheel. though I must say that BMW's compliant yet gripping ride is one of the things I like most about BMW's in general regardless of model.

The 545 has been clocked at 5.3 (Road and Track) to 60 with an auto tranny...Audi specs 6.3 and 6.1 for the new A6.
It may drive great and you can't tell how ugly it may be from inside, but remember, every time that you go to drive it you're going to have to look at it before you get inside.
A great drive is a great drive only while you're driving, but ugly is forever.
- GRL