2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2

Page 2 of 2
GRL wrote:

Pshaa! When most people are concerned about these cars' supposed "ugliness", what they are really concerned about is what other people will think about the car when they drive by in it.
I, on the other hand, never actually drive my cars. I just go out to the garage and look at them, so their beautiful design is of utmost importance to me... (not!!) ;-)
-Fred W

but
look at

Different strokes for different folks. I really enjoy the fact that my silver S8 is very reserved looking, and stealthy. Once insde, particularly at night when the white indicators spin up the red surrounds, it feels like piloting a low flying jet. I think it is a combination of looks and feel, and sound.
When I had my Viper it was more "instant celebrity" than in my current Vette, but if I were going to go sit in the garage and just stare at a machine, it would have to be a 12 cylinder Ferrari.
I still say, buy a used S8 for the price of either of the cars being considered, and have it all!!

but
look at

Vanity isn't the only reason why people criticize the aesthetics of these cars. Many people criticize these designs because they expect a lofty $50k car to encompass more than just great function; they expect beautiful form as well. And they -- or should I say we -- feel that many of both BMW's and Audi's latest designs have taken a step backward in that regard.
Rob 2002 A4 3.0Q 2005 TT 3.2 DSG

BMW's yealry sales in North America are built almost entirely on the brand's image. Break 1,000 BMW owners into groups of 10 and I bet that 9 out of every 10 of them will tell you that brand image helped sell them on the car. Audi lacks the image and recognition of BMW and that's a big part of why they can't sell as many cars. It also doesn't help that the average Audi (S and RS models aside) can't hold a candle to the capabiltities of the average BMW. The A4 and A6 simply cannot match the overall dynamics of the 3 and 5-series models. Steve Grauman

brand's
every
Audi
can't
models
and
I don't disagree with you. 9 of 10 car buyers of ALL brands are likely influenced by brand imagery to some extent -- whether it be "youthful hipness" (Scion), "practicality" (Honda), "staid sophistication" (Mercedes), or what have you. But that isn't to say that design doesn't count, or that aesthetics are somehow above criticism. Just look at Cadillac. At one time Cadillacs were considered by many to be the very best that the automotive world had to offer -- the best sheetmetal, the best drivetrains, the most luxurious interiors, etc. (hence the phrase, "it's the Cadillac of......"). But then, gradually (while many loyalists/apologists surely continued defending them), the design elements slid downhill to a point where a large segment of the public no longer liked the cars. So consumers were left to make a choice: do I buy a "legendary" brand that I no longer like, or do I buy something less legendary that appeals more to my senses? And the historical numbers clearly point that most potential buyers eventually chose the second option. However -- surprise surprise! -- as soon as Cadillac introduced a crop of new designs that people liked (Escalade, CTS, etc.), sales came back with a vengeance. Do I think that means that BMW's are going to slide the way Cadillac's did during the 70's and 80's? Not necessarily. But history shows (via Cadillac, Nissan, Mazda, Chrysler and dozens of once stylish, but now defunct brands) that ignoring consumers' wants/tastes and relying instead on imagery to sell cars is not a viable long-term recipe for success.
Rob
I prefer the Audi's styling and I MUCH prefer it's interior, especially the MMI interface, to the "5ers" interior and iDrive. However the Audi has been criticized for somewhat vague steering and an overly stiff suspension, and would probably not be able to match the 545i in pure dynamics. For me, it would come down to which I value more: the interior or the "on the edge" performance capabilities. I'd probably take the A6, because on a day to day basis, I'm not going to be exploring the performance limits of either car and I'd rather live with the A6's interior. I do like the E500 though.... Steve Grauman
For the same money, I bought a used 2002 Audi S8 (like the one in Ronin). Unbelievable!!! Buy a certified pre-owned, and you'll have a warranty as well.

In a previous posting, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Seth Brundle) had the audacity to say:
:I have a 2000 540i, and am looking to upgrade. :It looks like a dead heat between the 05 545i and 05 A6 4.2.
They're both very nice cars imo.
:The first time I saw a 2005 545i I was like 'YUCK!!!'.
I dunno, I think the new 5ers look just fine. But I suppose they are a bit of an acquired taste.
:The Audi is limited to 130 MPH and although thats unfortunate,
Yes, but it should be sharkable (once the car is broken in of course). I agree that governors that artifically limit the top speed of a very well engineered and capable vehicle are a terrible thing, just in principle. That the driver may never intend to drive faster than 110 mph or whatever is beside the point.
The Euro spec version of that car would probably be restricted to a much more reasonable 155 mph.
:I think :I've only exceeded that once in the 540i anyway, and just briefly.
Probably nothing reckless about that, those are very capable and well handling cars. When one drives a superior quality vehicle, one doesn't notice the speed as much. 130 mph in your 540 would probably feel more sedate and planted than 90 mph in my old (no longer driven) Grand Scam...
:I know I'll like driving the BMW more, thats what got me the 540i. :I've driven Audis - they are 'smooth' - real smooth, but Im not :looking for smooth, I like 'fun'.
Audis aren't fun? I thought they were trying to copy BMW in every way these days.
--
E.R. aka SJG aka Ricardo
present location: vancouver bc canada
Seth Brundle wrote:

I'm not sold on the new 5 Series looks, but, I have to tell you, the nose on that Audi is absolutely hideous. JMO/YMMV
Jeff

--
---

"Every time I hear the news

on
I have a 545 and although I wasn't completely enamored with it's looks it doesn't seem to matter to me anymore. I like the drive and performance and I love the spartan interior. I don't really dislike the new nose of the A6, but if one does, but loves everything else about the car, I doubt the nose will be much of an issue a few months down the road.
I just don't get excited about looks. Good or bad, they inevitably become unimportant if the car satisfies (or dissatisfies) in what I consider to be the more important areas.
I have a 530i with sports suspension, sports seats etc and most of the goodies. Bought it second hand 10 months old with 700 miles on the clock.
I cannot believe how the brand new price of both BMW and AUDI gets ramped up by the addition of options which the trade seem to consider as 'minimum standard requirements'. My 530i would have been 42,000 list with all the options and at that price I would not have bought it (I paid 27,995, which just goes to show how much these things depreciate, particularly the options).
In Prague recently I got to drive the top of the range Skoda Superb, with leather, sat nav, gloss wood, 19 inch alloys.
Given that I can buy this car in the UK for HALF the price of my BMW, I'd have to think very seriously before buying either of the cars listed in this thread.
I love my BMW (and I'd love a 6 series), but the pricing is for name and prestige, not value.

Audi isn't nearly as bad as BMW. We test drove the X5 a few weeks ago before my mother got her Touraeg. The car was nearly $50k USD and didn't include several seemingly obvious options like power adjuastable lumbar. We would have needed to add another couple thousand dollars worth of options just to get the adjuastable lumbar as part of a larger pack. And they get like $48k for loaded 330's! Steve Grauman

With my BMW, I get the best of both worlds. I get excited everytime I look at it and then i get to drive it.
How cool is that? ;-)
Jeff

Jeffmayner writes:

You don't know cool until you open your garage door each day and see and then drive my RS6. d;o)

I thought that would be the case with my e39's, whose exterior design I liked a lot. I was taken the first time I laid eyes on one in person. But after a few months the looks didn't matter at all. Today the e39 looks downright dowdy to me, but I still love the car because it drives about as good as any standard sedan I've ever been in with the exception of an e60 without Active Steering.

nose
it
and
A6,
nose
become
It's pretty cool. That's how I feel about my Audi S8, as well. It has completely replaced my interest in any other German marque. It is truly fabulous.

With a Dinan 5 E39, and a "warmed up" S4, all I can say is take another look at the Audi. You can play with the BMW, but you can get downright serious with the Audi!! ...Lorne

nose
it
and
A6,
nose
become

Have you seen it in person? I saw a loaded V6 at the dealer and I actually like it, MUCH better than the pictures made it seem. Steve Grauman