2005 A4

My wife is interested in a 1.8 A4 AWD. Having experience with Volvo AWD I am not interested in AWD. How does the Audi AWD system work? Is it better than
other cars? Thank You Mike

I've not driven an AWD Volvo, but having once observed one reversing, on full lock, on gravel, I don't think I'd want to. The inside rear wheel of this car was spinning about half a revolution, about twice a second, throwing loose gravel all over the place. The car was making extremely slow progress.
Rest assured that the Torsen system in an Audi quattro will behave much better. I drive an Audi RS6 (450bhp) and I've never been aware of any wheel spinning in any circumstances. I can floor the throttle on a wet, greasy, road and the car just launches forward with great gusto.

My 1.8t will show excessive wheel spinnig in snow. And that's the way I like it. The difference between the old Volvo AWD and Audi AWD (torsen) is that in Audi all the wheels spin contrary to the Volvo. I have heard that the new Volvo AWD (Haldex) is very good.
Peter, switch the ESP off and DRIVE our car, please. :-)
--
Petri Rehtonen

If you do get the 1.8turbo save yourself some headaches and change the oil every 3-4thousand miles. Chuck

Or better, use proper oil.
--
Petri Rehtonen

Why?
The manufacturer recommends longer distances. I am taking my '04 1.8q in for its 8K km check in the new year. I will change the oil as recommnded by Audi.

Just curious why I wouldn't want to follow the dealers recommendations? I just took ownership of a 2005 A4 1.8t quartro and was planning on following the maintenance schedule. Should I have the oil changed more frequently? Also, wouldn't the dealer use the correct oil when they change it? One of the attractions of Audi, among others, was that the maintenance was included free for the first four years or 50k miles. I'm sure that this has been discussed but I am new to the boards and am looking for advice.
Jim

Audi has had some sludge issues with the 1.8T and the service recommended 10,000 mile oil change. I have a 2001 V6 A4 and that was the interval they followed for mine. I would do every other oil change myself.
I would use synthetic oil (such as Mobil 1 0W40 or Castrol Syntec 0W30) and change it every 5,000 miles. Your engine will be much happier.
- -- cnewton at akaMail.com Anti-Spam filter in place-- <delete .remove-this to respond to email>
No that's quite wrong. If you live in North America you must change the oil every time you drive round the block

The link below will take you to the Audi Approved Oil List. It is interesting to see which motor oil manufacturers are NOT on the list such as Redline, Royal Purple and especially Amsoil.
http://www.audiusa.com/common/images/Audi_Approved_Oil_Chart.pdf

This little video snippet should put your doubts aside. It features a test of a range of AWD cars trying to get up a ski slope. The Audi Allroad continues all the way to the top.
It is with german speech, but the video speaks for it self. The video is encoded using DivX.
http://www.supercars.de/html/related_link/related.html?link 3
Enjoy,
--
Brge Berg-Olsen
"BBO"

If it's the same video I've seen last week, then I'd say it's highly biased/suspicious. As much as I'm sure Allroad is capable of getting up the slope, I'm pretty sure the others are as well, if only the drivers knew what they were doing and had proper tires. I mean, why did the Nissan just hit the brakes and stop?
There was a test a while back that was put together by BMW to show that their awd system (on 330xi I believe) is better than Audi's torsen. The test was set up in such a way, that BMW came out clearly superior. So, I'd take all these tests with a grain of salt.
Cheers,
Pete