2005 A4 PROBLEMS!!

I have a 2005 A4 3.2..its been nothing but problems!!! I have replaced the tires TWICE ( i drive 99% highway)!! About 3 mo. ago my cd player froze and all my cds were stuck in it...that was also replaced. Then, the plastic around my shifter cracked and broke...i couldnt even put the car in park...that was replaced. Now, my tail lights stay on all the time and pushing the alarm button DOESNT shut them off! i found the only way to fix it is to turn the car on, put it in reverse, and then back in park!!!! Thats not even it.....2 days ago when i was driving (30 mph) the RPM's were at 4000! I found the only way to drive normally was to switch into manual and drive in 5th gear!! The car is in the shop now (has been since then) and they keep telling me they cant diagnose the problem!!! The car is still under warranty but, when does this nightmare end?? I happened to find a message from "Nedry" in June on this site and he had the same exact issues with the lights and the engine!!! What is going on?? I wish i never bought this car....it is nothing but a headache.

Reply to
jess

TonyJ

where do you live? in many states, there are pretty strong lemon laws. it seems as though you may have bought one.

i would suggest talking to the dealer about backing out of your purchase or lease. they may not be able to do anything, but who knows. it's worth a shot.

and if you were to get a lawyer > I have a 2005 A4 3.2..its been nothing but problems!!! I have replaced

Reply to
tockeyhockey

I hardly think these problems make the car a "lemon"

What was the reason from front tyres needing replaced? How many miles between replacements? Was the tracking checked? Maybe the OP is just hard on tyres.

CD changers jam from time to time. Audi don't make them and plenty of other manufacturers systems have the same problem. Plastic surround on the shifter broke? How?

Tail lights on all the time. Sounds like a software problem. If you've read about another person with the same problem. Ask them or Audi how it was resolved?

The OP doesn't mention that whether or not the car is a Quattro. I'm assuming not so it's a multitronic auto. These have been known to go wrong. If the OPs dealer can't diagnose the fault then get another dealer or Audi USA involved.

Reply to
Dave

I'm going to lemon-law my 2005 Accord Hybrid because the engine hasn't been repairable in the past 18 months. It runs like it is 250K miles old, drinks gas like an old clunker, and keeps turning on the malfunction light. I can't say that the automatic transmission works any better. Oh yeah - my speakers wrinkled, the windshield cracked, a couple of rear lugnuts broke off, the tire pump seizes, a few dangerous software bugs had to be fixed, and a door switch broke off.

The funny thing is that I'm here because I'm considering buying an 6-cyl A4 Avant. Wanna trade, Jessica? Do you think our cars can survive a cross-country trip between San Jose and Massachusetts?

Nah.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

one of the most ridiculous things about this group is that they have become so in love with the audi way of life that they think a lack of quality is some sort of badge of honor.

there is no reason that people who love audis shouldn't expect the quality of a honda and the handling of a porsche.

it's almost as of the average member of this forum "smiles" while he takes his car in for another visit to the mechanic.

by the way, my car is suck> I'm going to lemon-law my 2005 Accord Hybrid because the engine hasn't

Reply to
tockeyhockey

I'm lurking here for a while. I've been reading the Honda group since I bought a 1997 Civic HX, which was the best-made car I've ever seen.

What bothers me is when new technologies aren't refined enough that mechanics can work on them. My 1988 Toyota Tercel was a complex mess of old and new technology that never worked and couldn't be fixed. My 1997 Honda Civic had technology so beautifully refined to simple modular components that I repaired and maintained it at home with basic tools. With my 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid, I'm back to a car with a jumble of unrefined technology that is too convoluted to be repaired.

Example - The Accord Hybrid switches to 3 cylinders to save gas. This switch causes the engine to jolt so the hybrid drive acts as a virtual flywheel of infinite weight. The engine still shakes a bit so it has solenoid engine mounts with counter-phased drive. The intake buzzes a bit too so there's noise cancellation in the radio. The radio's noise cancellation rattles the doors so there's also a white noise generator to drown out rattling. The engine's drive shaft shakes so the torque converter lockup has counter-phased pressure pulsing. How much does switching to 3 cylinders save? I get better milage with it disabled. All of the crap that compensates for the ill effects of 3 cylinder mode is worse than any possible benefit of 3 cylinder mode. That's bad engineering an no amount of hacking on this design is going to fix it. I could go on and on like this about the Accord Hybrid.

I'm interested in how well refined the 2007 Audi A4 Avant V6 is. I can cope with a few manufacturing defects that need warranty repairs. What I don't want is mess of mismatched and unrefined engineering/assembly that will never work right because the underlying design is wrong.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

You're wrong. Some of us accept the German engineering quirks to get the feel that comes with Audi that you can't get with Honda.

You can have that already. Buy an NSX.

Even Porsches have their mechanical quirks. And mostly what happens with Audis amounts to, politely, "deferred maintenance."

There are folks out there driving 200k-mile UrS Audis that look and drive nearly new.

I doubt anyone does that. You're exaggerating. A lot.

Because you didn't buy a Honda. Trade it in ASAP, and your gas-sucking problems will end.

Or maybe you could actually track down the problem, so it does cause further problems, later. It may be just as simple as a sensor replacement. And cheap, too ( those are maintenance items, BTW.)

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero