2005 A6, FM Radio reception

I just traded my 2001 Mercedes E320 4Matic for a 2005 A6, 3.2. I love the car, and in many ways it is better than any of the 7 Mercedes that I have owned. However, the FM radio reception has been sporadic since I bought it about ten days ago. I returned to the dealer who could not detect the problem because their computer software is not yet up dated for the 05 models. Anyone else have any experience with this issue?

Rick Janes

Reply to
Richard Janes

Rick,

Just a quick question. Did you drive the 4.2 before you settled on the 3.2? Reason is, I am going to trade in my 2001 A6

2.7T, and so far have driven only the 4.2, which, I might say, handles and drives fantastic. Don't know whether or not the 5-7 thousand dollar difference is worth it to go with the 4.2. I can equip the 3.2 with everything except auto steering column, heated steering wheel, and solar sun roof, which I don't need and have a car that is much cheaper.

Your insight appreciated.

Reply to
HowdyDoody

Rick Does the reception fade with the rear window defogger on? or at any time? Window defoggers are notorious for causing interference. Also there could be a problem with the FM antenna amplifier which is located at the top of the rear windshield, underneath the upper interior cross trim piece that connects to the c pillar on both sides. Only other thought is that the control module for the infotainment system may be coded incorrectly. If your dealership hasn't updated there scan tools yet than I'd try another dealership. Most should have the updates by now, whether they install them or not is a different story.

Reply to
Charles Freeland

Thanks Charles;

The problem occurs irradically. If I start the car 10 times on any given day the FM radio may work properly on 6 of those occasions, (clear perfect reception). On the other 4 occasions I can barely hear the station with a lot of static. AM works perfect on all occasions?

I am waiting for the Dealer to get the proper computer update. I live in Newfoundland and the closest another Audi dealer is is about 1000KM and an 8 hour ferry ride. Will just have to waite.

Take care.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Janes

Unlikely that a couputer update at the dealer will help this.

More likely, they will actually need to think on their own.

The problem is probably a poor ground c> Thanks Charles;

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
David