2005 A6 vs. 2002 S8 vs. 2003 A8 ?? Opinions

All three of these seem to be about the same price, assuming the 4.2 V-8 in each application, and not the L on the A8.

Which of these three would you prefer to own, and why?

I'm currently bidding on an S8 on Ebay, to replace my S Class Mercedes, but I notice I could have a year newer A8, or a 2005 A6, all for about the same price.

Reply to
Viper

If I didn't have to care about reality? I'd take the S8, 'cuz it looked so cool in _Ronin_. ;-)

In the real world? I'd take an '05 A6 w/3.1 (they call it a 3.2).

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Why the new A 6 over the 2002 S8 for roughly the same price.

And I agree about Ronin. I've seen it several times, the last time just to watch the S8.

Reply to
Viper

You said you're looking at an A6 with V8, for the same price - I'd take the V6, for less money. I never thought I'd say this, but as I get older I've come to realize that yes, there *is* such a thing as "fast enough". ;-)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I have actually seen a couple of new 2005 A6's while test driving an S8 at the dealer. A few reasons a new A6 4.2 might be desirable over the old S8:

1) Nearly the same horsepower ( 330 vs.. 360 ) and less weight. Also has chain driven camshafts rather than timing belts. Eliminates or minimizes expensive maintenance.

2) Vastly improved navigation system, integrated into the MMI in the center dash. A nice 7" color screen, and DVD-based rather than CD-based. The old S8 nav system is a PITA to use, and it has no screen at all, just arrows in the auto-check window.

3) And, of course, less mileage! Longer warranty period ( 4yr/50K miles ). The A6 impresses me as a larger, more luxurious, and better equipped car than its predecessor, and it even has a larger trunk than the S8. I asked the Porsche sales manager and the Audi sales manager why anyone would buy the A8, and they were speechless! The interior design is far superior to the old A6 or A8/S8. Sport seats are included that are very similar to the S8 sport seats. The CD changer is in the glove compartment rather than the trunk, and the integrated phone is detachable from the armrest to function as a portable cell phone.

Gee! I guess I've sold myself.....

Reply to
Stephen Clark

You're comparing to old A8 in this case? There isn't any S8 with new A8, at least not yet. Anyway, if I would choose, I would take the new A8, it just feels a bit more luxorious than A6. New A6 doesn't appeal me that much, and A8's interiour is in my opinion looks like it has more quality.

Maybe this is the case also, since comparing the prices, A6 is a lot better value. So if money means something, I'd go for the new A6.

- Yak

Reply to
Michael Burman

But the new A8 ( D3 chassis ) is much more expensive.

I was responding to the original question posed by Viper in the subject line:

"2005 A6 vs. 2002 S8 vs. 2003 A8"

Read the original post by Viper above. We are talking about cars in the same price range.

Stephen Clark

Reply to
Stephen Clark

Thanks very much for this feedback. I'm thinking some of the same things, but not quite all. I'm not crazy about the nose on the new A6, and I don't think the photos of the interiors are quite as nice as the split suede/leather on the S8. And the "panache" of a "supercar" won't be there.

However, I also think that 30 hp is offset by lighter weight, and I like the idea of the new car warranty.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reply to
Viper

The new A8 seems to only come in the long wheel base, which I don't want. Have that in my S Class, and would like something a bit better handling.

Also, the price for the new A8 is above what I want to spend, which is why I was comparing the new A6 to a used S8 or used A8.

But thanks for your thoughts.

Reply to
Viper

mm, there's two versions available, at least here. A8 and A8L. But maybe it's only in Europe?-)

Ah, I thought 2003 A8 was in this case the new model. Then, go for new A6 ;)

- Yak

Reply to
Michael Burman

In the US, only the A8L is offered.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I agree with you Viper about the cache of the S8. It is truly a supercar, and a stealth one at that. I also like the Alcantara suede inserts in the seats and headliner. I came within a hair's breadth of buying a Silver/Black

01 S8 about a month ago. But I had not seen the new A6 at that point. Next step for me is to drive a new A6 4.2. Then I'll update you!

Another consideration for the long term - the S8 may hold its value better because it is rare. I suspect you and I are looking at the same cars on eBay right now! I drove the black one in Houston at Advantage Audi. It's virtually perfect, has only 30K miles on it, and you can buy it for $46K today. It has a new set of SP 8000's on it, and is Audi Certified. As a bonus, there is a Passport SR1 remote radar/laser detector already installed.

I have decided black is too hot for Houston's weather.

Haven't I seen your postings on AudiWorld?

Good Luck!

Reply to
Stephen Clark

Reply to