2005 Tiptronic manual shifting speed = slow. Can it be improved? (v2)

On a recent test drive in a 2005 3.2 A4 Avant, I noted that the tiptronic in manual mode shifted a bit faster than the 2001 did, but I'd still call it sluggish, and I'm wondering if anything can be done
about it.
The first stage delay comes after pushing the lever to +/-. I could get my hand back to the wheel before it even started to shift. If accelerating, close to redline, the delay lets the engine overrev.
Does anyone know if this delay is deliberate, or just a function of CAN bus messaging delays from the lever switch to the transmission controller?
The second delay is the slow execution of the actual shift for the apparent sake of smoothness. My 94 Volvo 850 auto trans engages the next gear with a distinct kick, like a well executed manual trans shift. The Tiptronic feels mushy in comparison. Is thhis slippage under computer control, or is a function of oil passage restrictions within the trans? If it's the latter, could it be "adjusted" for a faster shift without pulling the whole trans from the car?
I'd really like it to be solidly in the next gear before I can let go of the lever.