2006 A4 Avant - Kicking Problem

Hi, I bought the new 2006 A4 Avant with auto transmission. After the first month of driving it, my wife and I noticed that very often when the car comes to a stop, there is a 'kick' that can be felt -- sort of like very harsh downshifting (note: both, my wife and I are very gentle drivers and do not step heavy on the breaks). I took the car for servicing to the dealership and they did not find any problems with with. After my 3rd visit, finally the dealership manager all of a sudden informed me that the 'kick' is normal and that it is a part of the breaking system security feature (service manager at the same dealership was not even aware of that). Well, the problem is that I have not experience this kind of problem in any of my previous cars. Each drove and stopped smoothly and quietly, and now the dealership is telling me that it is normal that a $50K car 'kicks' when coming to a stop! Lately, the 'kick' happens on a regular basis - everytime the car comes to a stop and it is extremely annoying. Have you heard about a similar problem, or should I say is the 'kick' a problem or is it someting normal that I should get used to?

Thanks in advance for your response, Simon

Reply to
Simon

Ask to take out another Audi of the same model and year, see if it does it.

If it doesn't then get them to fix it, if it does then you will have to live it, but it does not sound as though it should be there.

Not many in this group have the new B6, I do drive one alot, but it is manual :(

Reply to
Ronny

Err... isn't the 2006 model the B7?

Reply to
Peter Bell

Yes, Peter.

It almost sounds like something it would do in 'sport' mode - i.e., downshift to provide engine braking.... Does the Tiptronic have a 'sport' mode?

I also wonder if it could be related to the adaptive-ness of the Tiptronic? You know, how it supposedly adapts to the driver's habits? There is probably some way to reset it, like you can with the drive-by-wire throttle system (which is also adaptive, apparently). Perhaps a search on AudiWorld would turn something up along those lines. Also, doesn't the transmission generate trouble codes like the engine would? If that's the case, you could certainly go to AutoZone and have them pull the codes - I understand they do that for free. Or try calling another dealer, see what they say.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Yup thats what I meant :)

Reply to
Ronny

I am having the same problem since summer of 2008. On top of the car "kicking" when i come to a stop, my car (06 a4) kicks from 6th to 5th gear and is progressively getting worse. The dealership keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with my car, which is bull. Probably because they don't want to replace my tranny cause its under warranty and are waiting for my warranty to void???

Reply to
GreenApples