2006 A4 steering at full boost, ESP light on, Servotronic failure

I have a 2006 A4, and a few days ago the steering boost went to full boost even at highway speeds. The ESP idiot light also went on full- time.

After doing some research, I found a reference to the Servotronic fuse or controller module. This is located above the leftside dash fuse panel, in an access hole. You can see it as the leftmost module, and you will be able to see 'Servotronic' on the label, without taking it out of it's socket.

Removing this fuse stops Servotronic speed-variable boost. There must still be some boost available, as low-speed steering is still possible even for gramma-weak drivers.

But the best news is that at driving speeds, the removal of Servotronic boost makes steering feel incredibly better! Before, road bumps would make me slightly move the steering wheel, and the car would dart a bit. Also, the steering felt rubbery, as if the control arms were mounted in very soft rubber. Both of those traits have disappeared, and tire grip near the limit is much easier to feel. The car tracks perfectly on-line, straight or in a corner.

I strongly urge everyone to try this mod out. If you bought an Audi for world-class AWD handling, this makes a world of difference.

Reply to
skid00skid00