2ka4: HEADLIGHT SUCCESS: They're right, replace them both at once!

Just to chime in with what most similarly cursed folks are saying about the bizarre mortality rate of headlights that burn out on a4's. Sucker eats them like candy.
Mine is an 2000 a4/1.8t
Once a headlight burned out in my car I seemed to be replacing the opposing headlight every 3000 miles. I replace the left and the right burns out quickly. I replace that right one, and the left gacks quickly.
I followed the advice of folks here and I can say that when I REPLACED THEM BOTH AT THE SAME TIME (for reasons still unexplained) the car lasted over 15,000 miles before needing a replaced headlamp, and my lights are on *all* the time (full blast, I don't have the Canadian "running lights" option).
Hope this chime-in helps. Just do them both at once.
Thomas
PS. Because I'm clinically paranoid, I'm going to save up the living bulbs and try installing them both at a much later date. Stretching my imagination as to how that would help, but it's often good to rule out superstition. Perhaps having equally "hurt" living bulbs in both sides would equalize some analog circuitry, or something similar.
wrote in message

I'm assuming you have the standard H7 bulbs and not the xenon D2S bulbs, correct?
Cheers,
Pete

They're H7's. Sorry for forgetting to mention that.
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 16:24:24 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"

Odd. My experience is the opposite with my 98.5 A4 2.8Q: the driver headlight lasted until Feb/Mar 2003, and the passenger one just died last week. Those are the only two headlight bulbs I've had to replace, and I did replace both myself with OEM bulbs.

The mortality problem with a4 lights is only /very common/, not /ubiquitous/.
If you do a search through this and other audi newsgroups/forums, you'll see it come up as an issue, over and over again.
wrote in message wrote:

Right on. Both of my A42.8 Q's have gone through headlights like mad. The 97 was worse though and knock on wood, the 2000 seems to have stabalized recently. The funny thing is to read this over and over and have the dealership say (with a straight face) that it is "very uncommon". Right, just like cam cover leaks "never happen".

I am covered with the battle scars left from fights with the numbnuts at dealerships. It seems that they are all uniformly sleazy, regardless of the manufacturer.
I definitely hear you there.

Actually, one of the things that I kept hearing (which does actually exist as a potential cause of early lite failure) is that there "must be" humidity in the light cavity requiring me to blow a hairdryer or heat gun into it.
Ignore that advice, drop the hairdryer, and replace BOTH filaments at once with new ones.