2ka4: Seat starting to hurt

2000 a4 1.8 quat 60,000
The driver's seat seems to have compressed some and is starting to hurt my back.
Is there an adjustment (somehow) that I can make, or am I relegated to
replacing the seat or putting in a pad (that would probably block the seat heating).
Thanks
wrote in message

Swap the front seats, side to side. You'll probably have to swap the tracks to keep them in their original positions and you may have seatbelt anchorages to fiddle with, but the seats should bolt to either set of tracks easily. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that - at least on BMWs)

Might this be a problem if the car has side airbags in the seats.
Just a thought
Richard

lol in the Times of Yore we didn't have to worry 'bout such things. Such is the price of progress...
I wonder if any safety interlocks/warnings need accounting? If heated, probably want to switch the wiring around lest the dashboard seat heat controls cause confusion ;-)
/daytripper '00 S4 6spd, Recaros are still perfect...

A good point. Three possibilities occur to me here. The simplest is to just leave them disconnected when reinstalling the seats. Second, and most complicated, would be to swap the seatbacks. I wouldn't expect that to be too big a task with the seats already out of the car, though. A coupla' bolts, a coupla' screws maybe, and a coupla' wires. Third possibility would be to reconnect them anyhow and get blasted *away* from your passenger and *toward* the impact in a side collision! =8^O OK; maybe that's not so funny ...

'tripper, the heater wires come out of the carpeting under each seat. When you swap the seat units, you'll be connecting the heaters to the seats *on their respective sides*. The same thing goes for the seats' power adjustment controls. It's not like any of these wires *knew* which seat they were connected to. Talk about confusing the issue ... -- C.R. Krieger (would still try it)
On 17 Feb 2004 07:02:45 -0800, warp2 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (C.R. Krieger) wrote:

Rats! Uh - no - wait, how about "Picky picky picky" ;-)
Yeah, I realized that was totally brain-damaged - about ten minutes later while I was warming up the car. Anyway, Usenet doesn't honor cancels anymore, so I just hoped y'all would let that one slide by.
No such luck. lol
/daytripper '00 S4 6spd, you can't make this stuff up ;-)

No, I'm not going to attempt swapping the seats. That'd be begging for trouble. Seats these days are good ideas gone WAY too far---they got this, and that, and more in them---enough to have just one thing screw up and trigger all airbags to go off at once if not properly grounded, etc. :) Gloom and doom....
Thomas, You could get a _heated_ seat pad..... You could also talk to an upholstery shop - see what they say. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - on it's 3rd set of seats - now sport leather.....oooh...aaah 1980 Audi 5k - repaired driver's seat tear - spares in reserve 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - will probably have to get proper fabric made - no NOS available AFAIK (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
wrote in message

"C.R. Krieger" wrote:
wrote in message

Swapping the seats left-to-right and vice versa is NOT a good idea. Even if you get the wiring harnesses reconnected without incident, your side airbags will now fire into the middle of the car, instead of on the outsides of the seats, where they should be. No idea what will happen to the bottle of drink that you have placed in the holder between the seats. In the best case, you will just get wet.
/Robert

No way I'm changing the seats, but you said something interesting. It was my impression that the airbags were in the back of each seat and shot rearward.
There are airbags in the sides of the car itself, but are there airbags in the sides of the seats as well?
wrote in message

May be. Look for 'SRS' markings on the side bolsters. -- C.R. Krieger (hates dem airbags!)
"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
---8<---cutting previous

In my car (2001 A4 Avant, B5 chassis) they are designed to fire sideways and forward from the seat back, at about the height of your rib cage. As a driver (left hand drive), the bag will put itself between the door and the left of your rib cage, before they meet each other in a crash.
My head would be somewhat protected by the airbag curtain deploying downwards from above the side windows.
In general be very careful about playing with the wiring to the seats, since airbag deployment is controlled through some of these wires. Airbags are propelled with the help of small explosives. Many people advise against touching airbag circuitry altogether. I've never dared so I cannot claim to be an authority on the consequences of doing this.
/Robert