3.2 A4, manual trans in USA?

I test drove a 3.2L A4 recently and found the tiptronic trans to be very sluggish, especially in manual mode, where it took a full second or more to complete a shift.

So, is there any chance the 3.2 V6 will show up in an A4 Avant in the USA this year?

In theory, the Tip SHOULD be capable of consistently completing shifts faster than any human could shift a manual gearbox. It's puzzling to me that it can't.=20

Doug Warner

Because it's a slush box. It's not DSG - nor even a CVT...

Reply to
daytripper

Right, the auto trans uses fluids to control shifting, so it will never be as quick or crisp as a manual transmission - which has a direct connection, via the clutch, to the engine. The DSG is simply a manual transmission with an automatic clutch. Frankly, I see Audi offering the DSG with the 3.2 before they offer a traditional manual transmission.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

DSG is a bit more than "just" manual transmission, it is like having 2 gearboxs. The next gear is always engaged so there is no delay in the change. It's about the only way you can make a Auto car change as quick as a manual :)

Reply to
Ronny

Doug Warner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There is no 3.2L V6 Manuals planned for the USA. That sucks. You need to get a pre-2005.5 A4 B6/8E in order to get the manual. Or you can get the A3 in a 3.2L DSG later this winter.

Reply to
DS