3.2 liter V6 (250HP) coming to A4 ?

Makes sense to me. The Allroad is really an A6 Avant with a beefed up chassis and special suspension. A VW version could be based off the Jetta wagon or even the Passat wagon. The Jetta and Passat are due for replacement, but VW has finalized the MKV platform that the Jetta will be using. A compact SUV based on the MKV Golf platform would be great. Or they could keep the B5 platform alive, probably at a very low price, with a B5 Passat based compact sporting the new

200Hp 2.0T as it's base engine and a 225-230Hp version of the 2.8 litre VR6 as an option.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Sure, how about something derived from the Touran?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

There's much talk here in the old continent about a new A3 SUV.

JP

"Mike Smith" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Why use the A3 platform? Isn't the A5 platform even bigger?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

The A3/S3 are built on the Golf platform, the A3 is really just an "Audi-ized" Golf.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

The Golf/Jetta platform makes sense to me because

- it is approximately the size of competitive small SUVs, especially with the new, larger MKV version

- VW already has the Touareg and the Passat 4Motion in the US, Audi has the allroad and (soon) the Pikes Peak

- a somewhat rugged AWD Jetta Wagon would not compete much with the A4

- as I said before, there is a significant market for smallish cross-overs (Forester, CR-V, RAV, Hunday, Escape/Tribute, ...) and VW could excel in the sporty & practical yet inexpensive category

- VW has (at least) three good engine options for such a car - a little bit for everyone

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

In article , Steve Grauman writes

As someone put it:

"A Golf is a Focus for badge snobs"

"An A3 is a Golf for badge snobs"

:)

Reply to
Toby Groves

OK, so is the previous poster talking about "an SUV based on the Audi A3" or is he talking about "an SUV based on the VWAG A3 platform, which was the basis for the previous-generation Golf, Jetta, and Audi A3, back in the late '90s"? That's what confused me. The platform on which the next Audi A3 is being built is called A5, and will also be the platform for the new Golf. But being a RAMVWer, I assume you know this. ;-)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

We're talking MKV (A5) based SUVs. The VW version would resemble the MKV Golf, while the Audi version would resemble the MKV A3, which are essentially the same car anyway. The VW Cabrio was the last car using the A3 platform, and was dropped. Although VW has decided to follow suit with it's replacement, the Beetle Cabrio. The NB will remain the only VW/Audi model built on the MKIV platform. I'm hoping they start retrofitting it with the multi-link rear suspension designed for the MKIV based R32.

Reply to
Steve Grauman