Page 2 of 2

As someone put it:
"A Golf is a Focus for badge snobs"
"An A3 is a Golf for badge snobs"
:)
--
Toby

Steve Grauman wrote:

OK, so is the previous poster talking about "an SUV based on the Audi A3" or is he talking about "an SUV based on the VWAG A3 platform, which was the basis for the previous-generation Golf, Jetta, and Audi A3, back in the late '90s"? That's what confused me. The platform on which the next Audi A3 is being built is called A5, and will also be the platform for the new Golf. But being a RAMVWer, I assume you know this. ;-)
-- Mike Smith
<< OK, so is the previous poster talking about "an SUV based on the Audi A3" or is he talking about "an SUV based on the VWAG A3 platform, which was the basis for the previous-generation Golf, Jetta, and Audi A3, back in the late '90s"? >>
We're talking MKV (A5) based SUVs. The VW version would resemble the MKV Golf, while the Audi version would resemble the MKV A3, which are essentially the same car anyway. The VW Cabrio was the last car using the A3 platform, and was dropped. Although VW has decided to follow suit with it's replacement, the Beetle Cabrio. The NB will remain the only VW/Audi model built on the MKIV platform. I'm hoping they start retrofitting it with the multi-link rear suspension designed for the MKIV based R32.
Steve Grauman wrote:

The Golf/Jetta platform makes sense to me because
- it is approximately the size of competitive small SUVs, especially with the new, larger MKV version - VW already has the Touareg and the Passat 4Motion in the US, Audi has the allroad and (soon) the Pikes Peak - a somewhat rugged AWD Jetta Wagon would not compete much with the A4 - as I said before, there is a significant market for smallish cross-overs (Forester, CR-V, RAV, Hunday, Escape/Tribute, ...) and VW could excel in the sporty & practical yet inexpensive category - VW has (at least) three good engine options for such a car - a little bit for everyone
- D.

the S4.

only
It
designed to

pales
Vs.
skidpad
the
be an

they'll
don't
--snip--
can
know
360,
The Toureg is one place where the VAG 40v V8 is a must. When I learned it weighs 5100 lbs (yes, five thousand one hundred), or over 1000 lbs more than the Allroad, I was really surprised to learn that a 220 HP V6 (or is it VR6--- can't keep em straignt ) would be offered. A 5100 lb AWD Toureg with only 220 HP (and a Tip rather than a manual) must be really slow. I can't imagine offering less than 300 HP (and plenty of torque) in a 5100 lb vehicle...unless it really was intended to be an offroader rather than a highway cruiser. Wasn't there talk of a really torquey diesel? But then again, Americans don't like diesels. Maybe the RS6 engine?

blown god knows

ignored by

I think a few die hard VW people might try the Phaeton, perhaps a family that has outgrown a Passat, but I agree, it won't convince too many S-class or 7-er Reihe buyers to switch to a VW car, even if it is relatively "cheap." At that level, more expensive is better; brand image is everything. If you can afford the $80-110k (numbers are really rough) for an S-class or a 745, why would you look at a ~$50k Phaeton?
<< The Toureg is one place where the VAG 40v V8 is a must. >>
I agree. But the 4.2 should have been the base engine and should be priced lower. They need a 4.5 with 355 or so Hp to fill in the gap between the 4.2 and V10, but it'd be way to expensive. VW wants $51k for loaded Toureag V8s. The one thing I can say is that the Toureag has a really fantastic cabin, awesome fit and finish, is very comfortable, and looks great.
<< ver 1000 lbs more than the Allroad, I was really surprised to learn that a 220 HP V6 (or is it VR6--- can't keep em straignt ) would be offered. >>
It's the same 3.2 VR6 that's in the R32, but tuned for lower HP and to make more power lower in the rev band. And yes, it's 1,000 lbs. heavier than the Allroad, which has the 2.7T with 250 HP and 255 Ft. Lbs. as it's *base* engine.
<< Wasn't there talk of a really torquey diesel? But then again, Americans don't like diesels. >>
Yes, a V10 with 550 Ft. Lbs. It's a monster, but it'll never sell in the U.S.
<< Maybe the RS6 engine? >>
To expensvie, WAY to expensive. It'd be more cost effective to use the Cayenne's 4.5 V8 which is only marginally more powerful than the 4.2 already in use.
<< I think a few die hard VW people might try the Phaeton, perhaps a family that has outgrown a Passat, but I agree, it won't convince too many S-class or 7-er Reihe buyers to switch to a VW car, even if it is relatively "cheap." >>
It's a gorgeous, well built automobile which simply doesn't have the brand status to compete with the 7 series, S-class, or even the A8. Audi should've stepped in and put it off. It would've been better marketing to drop the 3.7 and 4.2 litre V8s, and make a new 4.5 litre 345 Hp mill the A8s standard powerplant. That model would sell.
<< If you can afford the $80-110k (numbers are really rough) for an S-class or a 745, why would you look at a ~$50k Phaeton? >>
I'd rather have the Pheaton tha the aging S-Class, but most of the world feels the reverse of that. And I'd rather have an A8 than either of them And the S-Class did just get a nifty new 7 speed tranny, I'm dying to drive it). It's to bad the 745 is ugly and uses that terrible iDrive system, otherwise I'd probably take that.

I recall much the same being said of Lexus not too many years ago.
--
Toby

<< I recall much the same being said of Lexus not too many years ago. >>
Everyone knew that Lexus was owned by Toyota, probably why they originally discounted it as a brand. That, and the fact that the original ES250, Lexus' first model was really just a Camry with leather seating. But Lexus had/has the advantage of it's own brand name and it's own identity. The Pheaton is badged as a VW, and therefore must share in the image projected by other VW branded products. There's nothing wrong with the Jetta, Golf, and Passat that couldn't be fixed, but none of them project the kind of luxury image that buyers looking into $80k cars want. I don't think someone seriously contemplating a Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, or Audi would ever give the Lexus a serious look. But I think that there are a lot of people who would happily have the Lexus who wouldn't touch anything with a VW badge on it. Hell, Lincoln's LS V8 swamped the "old" 5 series in performance testing, did it help Lincoln steal away many 5 series buyers? I dn't think so. This is why the Audi branch is significant, this is why it exists, to pick up where VW rolls off, and to provide the luxury automobiles that VW doesn't have the kind of recognition to sell. And that's exactly why an A8 derived Audi luxo-barge badged as a VW is a bad idea.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randy S) wrote:

I haven't heard of a VAG 3.2l motor, suitable for longitudinal installation.