3rd row seat 2000 A6 Avant?

Has anyone added a third row to an A6 Avant that did not have one from the factory? Are there mount points in all A6 wagons? Is there a source other than Audi to buy these seats? Anyone have one they want to sell?? Know of a donor car at a local bone yard that has one?

I am still researching these cars I have my third test drive setup for Thursday...Lend me your thoughts on this purchase if you have any. Thursdays ride is a 2000 with 60K.

As always, thanks for your thoughts.

RickT

Reply to
rtonole

Rick,

I have a third seat for a 2000 A6 that may be willing to sell. I have only used it once since I had the car because my kids are all grown up. Kids do like it because they get to look out the back of the car.. I live in southern Minnesota so if you purchase the car and are still looking for one let me know.

Brian

Reply to
batman

My A6 has the factory-fitted third row bench seat. It's generally quite useful, though there are a few drawbacks:

  1. The seat itself weighs a huge amount, and so is an effort to fit and remove. It presumably will slightly affect acceleration, and cost more through increased gas consumption.
  2. The footwell under it means that only a "space saver" spare wheel can be carried.
  3. The safety aspects of the tiny amount of space between the rearward-facing children in the bench seat and the speeding BMW X5 behind you (whose driver has failed to notice that you've stopped) should not be ignored.
  4. Finally, although my children (10 and 7) thoroughly enjoy the occasional trip in the seats, on a longer journey (>20 minutes, or so) the lack of room to stretch their legs out becomes irksome. (And they, like their father, are not very tall.)

(5. And /really/ finally - though this isn't strictly relevant, so the more serious-minded should stop reading now - the children love waving vigorously to drivers of following cars. Apparently, this is a game called "Sweet or Sour". The poor saps who are following us are deemed "sweet" if they wave back, "sour" if they don't. It's quite amusing to watch even the best-natured, most child-loving of following drivers begin to tire of the relentless smiling and returning of waves after fifteen miles or so, and slow to a crawl, allowing other cars to overtake them, just for some respite.)

Best wishes,

Peter

Reply to
Peter H