4th of July 2003!

Hope that you all, regardless of your own individual nationality, but of course particularly all of you US citizens, have had have a happy 4th of July today, or Independence Day (correct, I hope??)! The day has been celebrated right here in Oslo, too, naturally. Our own national "4th of July", which BTW is on the 17th of May, is called "Grunnlovsdagen", or Constitution Day. With my very best regards, Inger SJ, Oslo, NO.

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

Inger,

Thank you for that, and much belated congratulations on your own Grunnlovsdagen.

(of course, being a relatively self-centered American, I had no idea that's what it was called)

My country isn't perfect, by any means. I know that very well - but it's the only one I've got.

Best,

Grover

Off to work (yes on a holiday) then to see the Fireworks.

Reply to
Grover

"Grover" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net...

Just a translation for you: Grunnlov = Constitution. Dag = Day. Included the "s", it should really be: Grunnlovsdagen = Constitution`s Day, or the Day of the Constitution. It is very similar to your own Independence Day in many ways, and each spring heavily celebrated all throughout our small nation of only 4,5 million, living very widespread on a rather large surface (for Europe, that is) of 323.000 square kilometers, and with a lot of healthy patriotism and flag-waving, just like your ID. Our respective national flag colors are BTW exactly the same, red, white, and blue, just like many other countries, like for instance the UK, France, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia/Montenegro (formerly known as Yugoslavia), Russia, Liberia etc. etc. These three particular flag colors in a combination with each other (a red, white and blue tricolor) are very common, probably the most common flag colors in the world today. Again, my very best regards to all of you for the rest of the summer from Inger SJ, NO.

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

I'm sure it is, but since I'm feeling pedantic: July 4 does not commemorate the ratification of the US Constitution, but the writing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776, thirteen years before the actual formation of the United States as such.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Obviously I know that.................. You seemed to have missed my point here. I did not mean the formal background of the two days, but the way they are celebrated, with fireworks, flag-waving, a lot of (harmless) patriotism, etc. etc. And BTW, last night, around 4 AM local time here, British TV channel Sky News, which I have on cable, broadcasted live from the fireworks in NYC, celebrating ID, at around 10 PM local time there. We here are at present six hours ahead of NYC local time, US Eastern time?? The time locally here just now is around 5.20 PM, that should equal around 11.20 AM in NYC. Inger SJ, Oslo, NO.

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

No, I understood your intent. I was just nitpicking.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith