5000s brake warning???

2 out of 3 times I use the brakes on my '88 5000s, the brake warning light comes on along with an annoying "beep-beep." It happens when I am
sitting at a stop light, when I am moving, just almost any time I touch the pedal. I am not hitting the brakes hard, just normal uasage. The fluid is correct, the pads are fine. What is my problem?? Any help is much appreciated.
While your pads may be fine, the sensor wire in one of the front pads might be broken or making intermittent connection.
Which fluid? The light will come on for either low hydraulic fluid OR brake fluid.
It also is triggered by low hydraulic pressure via the sensor just in back of the brake master cylinder. This is the hydraulic power assist servo. If the Pressure accumulator is bad (the Bomb) it will trigger the warning. Test the Bomb by shutting the engine off and then pump the brake. it should maintain hydraulic assist and not become hard to press for more than twenty presses.
TonyJ '91 100Q 5spd
tony osborne wrote:

Why do you call it "the Bomb"??
That is the name that the type 44 people have given to it because it is shaped sort of like one of those round, black bombs that you see in cartoons and because it is pressurized to about 2500 psi. If you aren't careful when working on it, it can ruin your whole day.
Located near the air conditioner compressor.
TonyJ
Thee Kidd wrote:

What should I expect to pay for one??
$300 + but you can ask around at AudiWorld forum so try to find one cheaper. http://forums.audiworld.com/v8 /
Don't assume that this is the problem unless you have checked out the other possibilities.
tony osborne wrote:

To: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (tony osborne) Re: 5000s brake warning??? By: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (tony osborne) to alt.autos.audi on Tue Oct 07 2003 09:29 pm
> 2 out of 3 times I use the brakes on my '88 5000s, the brake warning > light comes on along with an annoying "beep-beep." It happens when I am > sitting at a stop light, when I am moving, just almost any time I touch > the pedal. I am not hitting the brakes hard, just normal uasage. The > fluid is correct, the pads are fine. What is my problem?? Any help is > much appreciated.
More than likely it's the brake pressure accumulator
Rick
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org