5000s starting problems

I have a '88 5000s that is very difficult to start when the engine is cold. The temperature outside yesterday was 24 degrees (f) and it took me about 8 minutes to start the car. I crank it for a good 2 minutes
before it seems it is getting gas. It is harder to start than my old 1980 volvo diesel. Also, a warnng light came on that I don't understand. It is a circle with dotted lines on either side surrounding it. Any answers or suggestions would be greatly apprecited.
Could be that the temperature sensor (between 1 & 2 spark plugs is bad and not telling the ECU that it needs to run the cold start injector.
or
The cold start injector (back top of the intake manifold) could be bad, clogged, not getting power or bad ground. The bad ground is fairly common.
Vacuum leaks?
New fuel filter, air cleaner and plugs are nice.
Tony '91 100Q 5spd
tony osborne wrote:

You may also want to check this thread at Audiworld forum: http://forums.audiworld.com/v8/msgs/33613.phtml
TonyJ wrote:

Brake pad wear indicator...your pads are too thin.
--
Stephen Clark
To: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (tony osborne) Re: 5000s starting problems By: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (tony osborne) to alt.autos.audi on Sat Oct 04 2003 10:14 am
> I have a '88 5000s that is very difficult to start when the engine is > cold. The temperature outside yesterday was 24 degrees (f) and it took > me about 8 minutes to start the car. I crank it for a good 2 minutes > before it seems it is getting gas. It is harder to start than my old > 1980 volvo diesel. Also, a warnng light came on that I don't understand. > It is a circle with dotted lines on either side surrounding it. Any > answers or suggestions would be greatly apprecited.
When it started did it have black smoke coming out of the exhaust for a moment? This would indicate a rich fuel mixture. This problem could be caused by so many problems. With out hands on it's like pissing in a fan to guess. I very rarely even respond to this type of ? because it's not practical. I'm a very methodical trouble shooter and have been doing it for a 23 years. And without checking the car out..it's a waste of time to respond. The light sounds like it's the front brake pad warning light <if it's yellow>. This would indicate worn out brake pads or a broken wire running to the sensor on the pads.
Good luck,
Rick
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org