5000s starting problems

I have a '88 5000s that is very difficult to start when the engine is cold. The temperature outside yesterday was 24 degrees (f) and it took me about 8 minutes to start the car. I crank it for a good 2 minutes before it seems it is getting gas. It is harder to start than my old

1980 volvo diesel. Also, a warnng light came on that I don't understand. It is a circle with dotted lines on either side surrounding it. Any answers or suggestions would be greatly apprecited.
Reply to
tony osborne

Could be that the temperature sensor (between 1 & 2 spark plugs is bad and not telling the ECU that it needs to run the cold start injector.

or

The cold start injector (back top of the intake manifold) could be bad, clogged, not getting power or bad ground. The bad ground is fairly common.

Vacuum leaks?

New fuel filter, air cleaner and plugs are nice.

T> I have a '88 5000s that is very difficult to start when the engine is

Reply to
TonyJ

Reply to
TonyJ

Brake pad wear indicator...your pads are too thin.

Reply to
Stephen Clark

To: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (tony osborne) Re: 5000s starting problems By: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (tony osborne) to alt.autos.audi on Sat Oct 04 2003 10:14 am

When it started did it have black smoke coming out of the exhaust for a moment? This would indicate a rich fuel mixture. This problem could be caused by so many problems. With out hands on it's like pissing in a fan to guess. I very rarely even respond to this type of ? because it's not practical. I'm a very methodical trouble shooter and have been doing it for a 23 years. And without checking the car out..it's a waste of time to respond. The light sounds like it's the front brake pad warning light

Reply to
Kcvwdoc