$74,000

Page 1 of 5
a new A8-L stickers for $74k wow that's more than an E500, I see why VW/Audi is in trouble.

They are? Sources?
Regards
Wolfgang
--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI

VW sales are down 58% and they're looking to cut 5k jobs. I think that spells trouble for the sales leader in the US.

Well, then again the A8 compares to the S-class, not the E-class. Compare the A6 to the E-class to be fair...
Randy

Compare the A6 to the E-class to be fair...

but the A-8 has no V-12 so how can it compare to the S-class??

You mean the S-Class has no W-16, so how can it compare to the A-8?
--
Toby

Typo, should of course be W-12
--
Toby

the A8 doesn't have a W-16 here, only the V-8

the A8 has or will very soon have a 12 cylinder engine in the US it should be clear that the poster of the "W-16" comment made an honest mistake
[kinda big and piggish, but nevertheless, it will have a 12 cylinder, I believe a "W" configuration, which is two VR6s together...]

However, a "W16" has been developed for the new Bugatti supercar.

Yupp. It's essentially two 24 valve VR6s mated at the crank. VW found the benefits of this engine years ago with the Corrado SLC.

I think they should have ponied up a little money and made a true V-12. with this config what are the true benefits??

You're potentially talking hundreds of millions of dollars in development costs.

It's "footprint". The VR/W configurations make the engines narrower and allows VW/Audi to squeeze them into places were an engine that size normally would not fit. The 2.8 Litre VR6 fitted to the Golf/GTi/Jetta is an example of this, as is the W8 in the Passat.

allows VW/Audi to squeeze them into places were an engine that size normally would not fit. The 2.8 Litre VR6 fitted to the Golf/GTi/Jetta is an example of this, as is the W8 in the Passat.
just take the V-12 from Lambo, and tune it for a luxo sedan.
I understand the width & length angle, but what are any benefits, between some savings in development time, and small size. they seem to be a little low on power compared to a "traditional" layout, and they seem to have a little more harshness vibration.
Tha Ghee wrote:

So, Ghee,
What is it like owning both a V-12 Lambo and a W-12 A8? I mean, you have driven both cars - you must have, or else your opinion on vibration and harshness would have no basis in reality. And you never have pulled a statement from your ass before, right?

never said I owned both just drove a V-12 MB pack to back with a W-12 VW, can you read this. I didn't pull anything from my ass I sorry your head is there.

It's not that simple. The Murcielago's V12 wouldn't have fit in the A8. Plus, they can't produce them in great enough number for A8 application.

FITMENT. The A8 wouldn't have accpeted a V-12 of that displacement.

This is the result of Adui's tuning, not the engine type.

B.S. I've ridden in a W12 Pheaton and it was incredible.

Plus,
then make the A8 wider, it's a big car why keep it skinny. the A8 sells less than 10K a year that's only 850 a month I think AudiAG can produce that. never said it wasn't a great car, past being a VW but it's not as smooth as a VS.-12.

Making the A8 wide enough to accomodate the Lamborghini V12 would've been excessive. Beyond that, I'm not sure what you don't understand about the production limitations of the Lambo V12. It would've required millions of dollars to re-tool for that. Don't forget, Audi had already incurred the cost of adapting manufacturing lines for the W12. They introduced the engine in 2001 in the previous A8.

It's not a VW. The A8 and Pheaton share only minimal suspension components.

excessive. Beyond that, I'm not sure what you don't understand about the

cost
2001 in the previous A8.

components.
how hard can it be to produce more engines?? why not just turbo charge the W-8 and get similar horse power to a V-12.
the A-8 share engines drive train layout, and interior setup

Let me break this down for you ONE LAST TIME. Whatever production line adjustements where neccesary for production of the W12 had already been made, when Audi introduced the engine in 2001. They weren't interested in re-tooling a mere 2 years later simply so a different engine could be used. The facilities that handle production of the Lambirghini engine are small, and incapable of producing enough units per year for both the A8 *and* the Murcielago. DON'T YOU GET IT?

Audi found out over many years that larger displacement motors are often more impressive to buyers than smaller, turbocharged mills which appeal mainly to tuner and enthusiast crowds. This is one of many reasons they choose a version of the 4.2 litre V8 for the S4 and not a bi-turbo version of the 3.0 litre.