80 2.0 16V sounds like a diesel

My apologies - I just posted this elsewhere and it occurred to me it would be better here...

Can anyone help me here...

I have an 80 16V 2.0 that has done 130k-ish miles and quite frankly sounds like a diesel. Not only when it starts (I know about hydraulic tappets needing to get up to pressure etc), but all the time.

Is it fixable with an oil/filter change? Does it sounds like it needs new tappets? Or is the whole thing about to go up in smoke?

Timing belt needs changing (and is about to be done). Chain need changing too maybe?

Reply to
nealdc

try to measure your oil pressure. I had one 8V engine that had the hyd tappets clicking but it had a weak oil pump also since the oil light would flash sometimes. I changed that oil pump and the clicking noise left also. :-)

And sometimes I find debris that clogs the strainers of oil pumps. This is usually after either the engine overheats or the oil pan takes a hit. Both oil pump scenarios had that plastic "windage tray" destroyed and the pieces were clogging up the strainer thereby reducing oil flow and pressure.

Or maybe the oil is filty and the filter is clogged. So an oil change shouldn't hurt if it has been awhile since the last one. I will assume that there is enough oil in there! 8^)

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually, listening to it carefully, it sounds like there are a couple of tappets in particular that are - err - tapping. As it doesn't sound like it is all of them contributing to the din, I might focus on that. Oil & filter change was not that long ago actually, and the pressure looks to be ok.

I understand the tappets are not too hard to change. But I am trawling the web to see if there is any specific information out there.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
nealdc

Well your engine has 16 of them at a price of maybe $12 each USD. I usually recommend changing all of them once you get the camshafts out of the way. Of course you might be able to determine which ones are bad once you get the valve cover off.

Then a new timing belt couldn't hurt! ;-)

Reply to
One out of many Daves