86 4000S dies after starting...

Hello,

I have an '86 Audi 4000S with the 1.8l/CIS-E engine. Recently it started losing power and about a couple of days later it got to the point where it would not keep running. It will start if it has been sitting for awhile, but then it dies. If I restart it, it will die again quicker, and then the third time it won't start at all unless it's been sitting again for a long time. I replaced both fuel filters, and the fuel pump seems to be running fine. I took out an injector and it is spraying some fuel when the engine is started, but I guess it's not enough. I have check all hoses going into the fuel distributor and can't seem to find a problem. I'm guessing it might be a fuel pump, but was wondering if anyone has had this problem in the past, or knows of a better way to make sure it's the fuel pump before forking over a lot for a new one. Any help would be appreciated!

Brian

Reply to
Brian McCrary

Yes what Tony said, but also did you recently remove the Fuel Injection Fuse in the fuse box usually located in an "unmarked" position. I have seen this stump many a mechanic. It kinda looks like a spare fuse but it isn't!! Also check the ground wiring at the cold start valve bolts to make sure the wiring is not broken.

Also check the Coolant Temperature Sensor for the fuel injection. And make sure the 02 sensor is not causing an overly rich mixture due to a bad sensor or wiring.

let us know what you find!

dave

To: snipped-for-privacy@shcircuit.com (Brian McCrary) Re: 86 4000S dies after starting... By: snipped-for-privacy@shcircuit.com (Brian McCrary) to alt.autos.audi on Wed Sep 10

2003 03:44 pm

Could be that you have a massive intake system leak. Would explain starting when engine is cold . And then stalling and not wanting to restart.

Have a Great day!

kcvwdoc

--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org

Reply to
Kcvwdoc

Repost here if you do not find a solution. This forum is very helpful.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie