87 5KSQ speedo/odo in-op

Hello all--my 87 5KSQ (five-speed manual, natch) just recently decided to give the speedometer/odometer a vacation. I had just made an eleven-hour trip each way (within the space of about six days), worked like a charm the whole way, and then this morning when I was going to work, the speedometer and odometer just stopped working altogether. I'm thinking it might be a bad/disconnected speedo cable. I had a new clutch put in around October, not sure if that would be significant or not. Neither odometer or speedo have ever given me any kind of trouble before. Any ideas? Approx. repair prices? Any/all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jason

Reply to
Jason Tibor

I had mileage counter only failing on my 1987 5000S (speed still showing). In your case most likely problem is the cable or the very instrument. The cable is bayonet connected to the back of the cluster. It comes from the engine bay through the firewall. The steering wheel has to be removed (24mm socket), then the screws holding the cluster. The cluster has to be partially pulled as to allow undoing the cable bayonet connection from the back of the cluster. The connectors are to be unhooked and the cluster tested with a small drilling mashine, playing the role of the cable. I used a piece of wire as soft coupling. Driving without the cluster is possible. If you confirm instrument problem - the best is to get one from a scrap yard. You can attach a sleeving on the cable end and feed it in the cabin to see its rotation when driving to confirm cable is OK. Cable end may be stripped on the gearbox side too. Good luck

Reply to
Petkan