87 5KSQ steering wheel...

So I need to get my steering wheel off...anyone know off the top of his/her head what size the nut is? I tried a 22mm...too small...and a

1" seems to *sort of* fit...since the large sized sockets aren't included with most kits, I'm having to buy one seperately...don't want to spend more money than I need. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

jason

Reply to
Jason Tibor

Audi=German=metric.

Reply to
Clanger

M16 x 1.5 Nut > spanner size 24 or just measure spanner with across nut in mm

Reply to
Ottar Tverberg

possibly a 15/16" socket may do it! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

You may well find it isn't necessary to remove the steering wheel in order to remove the instrument panel to gain access to your speedo. I'm in UK and my model is designated an Audi100, which I believe is similar. I seem to remember it being a little tricky, but by no means impossible. A couple of screws fix the panel, then connections via plugs & sockets. I think a couple of light duty wires didn't have very much slack, and had to be handled with care. The jumping speedo problem seems common, and in my case was down to a solder joint on the instrument panel PCB. The speedo itself plugs into the the PCB via a couple of substantial pin / sockets. It was the soldering of these sockets which had to be redone. I should give credit to the following site which is a little goldmine .....

Ian

Reply to
Ian Gaskell

If you're fixing a jumping speedo I suggest soldering a fine, multistrand wire a few mm above the pin socket/PCB solder joint. Solder the other end of this to the PCB, then when the repaired pin socket/PCB joint fails again current can still flow through this flexible bridge.

Tom

small...and a

seperately...don't want

think a couple