Checked the voltage at the jumper post this morning, and it's 12.45 volts.
BUT, I opened the back doors to remove the battery from under the seat, and
checked the voltage at the battery before disconnecting it: 5.5 volts! How
could just opening the door bring the battery down this far? There is also a
faint buzzing relay that fades out shortly after you open the door. The
resistance from the positive battery cable to ground is about 1.8K ohms, so
it is not shorted, Tony. Also the battery voltage is the same at the
battery terminals, and at the jumping post, so I don't think it's the
splice. Can't check the ignition switch until I get a good battery in
Took the battery to the auto parts store where I got it only six months
ago - their load test says battery is discharged. They said the battery is
needing a charge before they can test it again for warranty purposes.
But it is my feeling that there is a sudden, massive load on the battery,
and Steve Sears on the Audiworld forum came up with a theory that a shorted
starter fits all the facts.
Unfortunately, my trusted Audi mechanic will be out of town until Tuesday,
so I can't get the car to him for diagnosis until then.
I am currently trying to get hold of a battery charger that works, since
mine just blew up! If not, I'll take it back to the auto parts store and
have them charge it up, and test it again.
I certainly appreciate your quick and useful replies!