90 2.3 E Instrument Lights not working (UK)

I just bought an Audi 90 2.3E 1990/G, and the dashboard nstrument illumination is not working. When it gets dark, the only thing that you can see is the clock, the various warning lights, and the rear window heater button. I have checked the (I think) relevant fuse, and it seems OK. It seems a bit odd for all the bulbs to have gone at once, any ideas what could be wrong? I'd rather not dismantle the dashboard, if there is a simple solution to the problem

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
sohcahtoa

Are the sidelights/tailights still ok? If so, you might want to check the instrument panel dimmer. You should be able to short it out, wich should just leave the panel lights at full brightness.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

All other lights are fine, so shorting out the dimmer seems a good idea...

Can this be done without dismantling the dash? If so, how?

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
sohcahtoa