911

why are they changing it already. don't they have enough on their plate not to mess with an Icon already.

Reply to
Tha Ghee

Already? The 996 body style is 6 or 7 years old! You can't sit on a design like in the old days (my '83 is indistinguishable from a '78-89

911 to the untrained eye, and from a 74-up for the really clueless). It's also not very popular with Porsche enthusiasts. The model before the 996, the 993, is selling for higher prices on the used market than some of the newer ones. Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown

not to mess with an Icon already.

why change something when the previous gen was around for 34 years that's what made it special. why not improve on it as opposed to make a new one, and go thru growing pains.

Reply to
Tha Ghee

It hasn't been around for 34 years. The original car was drastically changed in 1989, completely replaced in 1994, and again in

1998. The next version will be the 997 and that will be an evolution of the current model (the 996). The cosmetic changes will take it back to the appearance of the 993, which was the most popular 911 design in its history. Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown

Apparently, Porsche is planing a particularly short shelf-life for the 997. The

998s are due by late-2006 or early-2007. With the 997, they've gone back to quasi-993 styling to try and attrack some of the "purists" who were put off by the 996's new look. But reports I've read not only say that the 998's will move to an 8-cylinder (and maybe a V-configuration) but that Porsche may move the engine forward more twoards the center of the car for a mid-rear layout. It'll be interesting to see what happens and how people react. Personally, I'm a big fan of both the 993 and 996, but I do believe that the 996 is a little less sports car and a little more "GT" than the previous variants were. However, with a modern-day 928 GT car in the works, I think Porsche will be able to move back toward a harder edged sports car with the Carrera.
Reply to
Steve Grauman

Except that while the new car will LOOK like the 993, it will be water cooled, and I will never buy a water cooled Porsche. Other people apparently agree since they are paying more for the last year air cooled 911 variiant than for new water cooled 996s in some cases.

Reply to
REInvestments

You're right about that attitude among Porsche fans, but I think we'll see it turn around in the next couple of years. The 996's disfavor is resulting in some great deals on them, and people are starting to take advantage of those. The prices will only go lower now that a new model has been announced. And honestly, 993 owners are going to help; because of the attitude towards them people are asking ridiculous prices for cars that aren't remotely good enough to warrant them. People will waver when faced with a nice low-miles 996 and a crappy high-miles 993 going for the same money, because the car is actually pretty good. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Why? I can understand criticizing the 996 for being more of a GT and less "hard edged" than previous variants, but the liquid cooled engine is fantastic. In more ways that not, Porsche's have gotten nothing but better over the years. No they're not quite the same as they once were but change can be good, and it has been for the 911. Hell, the 427 Corvette is an awesome machine, probably the best of the muscle-era Corvettes. But the C6 is going to be a much *better* car as a daily driver and general performance machine. It may not be exactly what "purists" expect of the Corvette (a lot of them dislike the C6's exposed headlamps) but it doesn't change the facts.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I owned a 77 911S, 81 911, and an 82 911. I just think the air cooled engine has more "magic" and is truer to what I love in a 911. If I'm going to drive a water cooled engine, I'll just drive my Viper.

Larry

99 S420 (this could become an Audi) 96 Dodge Viper RT/10
Reply to
REInvestments

Yup... I agree... I have an 84 911 turbo - amazing car. But its a lot of work to drive. I decided to add something a little newer to my collection so I started looking at 993 C4s cars. They are great... But decided if I am going to be spending in the mid to high 40's then I might as well look at a 996. I took a C2 and C4 for a spin. I was blown away. The 993C4S was fun. The 2000 996 C4 was just amazing. I will be picking mine up on Thursday of this week.. cant wait. The 84 911 still has a place in my heart. It is an amazingly fun car as well.... But a very different beast.

Cheers,

-Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

Never been a Viper fan myself. If I had the cash and wasn't buying a Porsche, it'd probably be an NSX. The 97' Zanardi Edition is a great used buy.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

It's been my pleasant surprise to discover I like every Porsche I've driven, and I think any true driving enthusiast would as well. I was sort of expecting to like the 914, but I was genuinely surprised just how much I like my 944, and I *really* wasn't expecting to like the 928 (still haven't found one, though -sigh-). Most journos started out with the same distrust of the 996 and seem to have come around on it. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

My cousin has one, and he loves it. Great cars.

If I was going to buy another car in the Porsche, NSX, profile, (and if I couldn't afford the Porsche 911 Turbo, or GT3, which I can't) it would be the new Lotus Elise.

The Viper isn't an acquired taste. You get in one, and either you love it, or you don't. Pretty straight forward.

Reply to
REInvestments

In which DIN or SAE unit is "magic" measured? Is it quicker? More torque, more power? More reliable?

C'mon, guys - what's *really* better about the air-cooled engines vs. the wasserboxers, apart from sheer nostalgia?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Hmmm.. what was better about the old air cooled ones... Well... They sounded better. And there was one less system to worry about getting serviced.... The older cars were lighter, which is a bit of a positive aspect too. I love the classic look of the older body style...

What else? I am sure we can come up with a ton of things that are better about the Air cooled cars.

-Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

The sound. The response. The concept that putting an11 blade fan on to replace a five, brings the cooling down, and you can do it yourself. And so on.

Reply to
REInvestments