'92 100s Audi Thermostat Location

Please Help! Cannot locate thermostat. I have what appears to be a failed thermostat on my 1992 100s Audi. The car will not warm up in cold weather unless I floor at every stop. The cooling fans are always on (even when I first start the car in below 0 weather). So, being the novice mechanic that I am I brought it in to an Audi mechanic. They first said it would be about $90.00 to replace the thermostat, but later called and said it would be more like $300.00 to replace because it is impossible to get to. The actual replacement of the thermostat cannot be that difficult, if only I could find it. Could someone please lead me to the location of the thermostat on a

100s?

Thank you in advance, ddal

Reply to
Dallas

"Dallas" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

It would be easier to give an answer if you told us which motor you have. On V6 engines you must remove the camshaft drive belt to acces the cooling water thermostat. By change of belt it is normal procedure to change waterpump, thermostat and some thightening rolls.

The running fans indicates that the problem is the thermoswitch, it is located at the bottom of the cooler, it has 3 wires connected, the fans should start at different temperatures, the first at some 94 C and the second around 100 C. The fans are connected to fuse 13.

Greetings Aksel

Reply to
Aksel

You don't have to remove the cam drive belt, just slide it about half way off of the sprocket. Then twist the belt portion directly in front of the thermostat housing.

If you don't even know where the thermostat is though, you need the manual (Bentley), the serpentine belt and several plastic bits need to be removed. Also buy the replacement at the dealer. If you get one at a cheapo parts house examine it closely, the upper portion may need to be ground off to fit in the Audi housing. The dealer part lasts longer too.

Audi.

Audi

thermostat,

replace