93 Audi 100S Fuel Pump Replacement (how hard?)

My 100 needs a fuel pump. The relay is good. I was going to change it out myself, but my shop tells me that a special tool is required to do this. Can I change the pump by
suffering through crawling around in the trunk? Is the tool only a convenience to help deal with the poor access or is the tool manditory?. I would like to take the car into the shop (it is really cold out), but it's parked in a poor place in my very steep driveway. I think it will be harder to get it towed than to fix it myself. Any shared experiences will be appreciated.
Mike
Only special tool I've used is my arm jammed down into the tank, when you grab something that feels like a fuel pump, pull it out. One item that I've taken the trouble to learn the hard way for you; take care to route the wire such that the float doesn't get hung up in it.
Cold weather and a steep driveway should add a few nice touches when its time to tell your war stories. Good luck.
Tom

Thanks Tom, That's what I was looking for. I'll tackle it myself, although this single digit temerature promises to make it a real treat.
Mike