96 S6 no start - help please

Hi folks, I have a no start problem hope you can help with. Turn ignition., engine catches then dies in a couple of seconds. Try again same thing. On
5th or 6th attempt plus foot on gas pedal, engine catches and runs tho as soon as I lift off gas, engine dies. CEL stays lit! Now, I know, should plug in VAG COM and pull codes. I do have the cable but recently was made redundant from job so spending $$ is restricted right now.
Recently replaced Hall Sender, but don't think this is it as engine starts. Reference sender?
Also, couple of times when I turn inginition, lights come up, no engine turn over or start and there's a rattling or buzzing noise. Ignition switch (tho current one is 8 mnths old)?
Thanks for help.
Tony
96 S6

Fuel Pump has gone is my guess :(
Ronny wrote:

That wouldn't cause the starter not to turn the motor over. I'm guessing some bad connection between the ignition switch and main engine ground, *somewhere*. Buzzing implies a bad relay, and I get from the initial symptoms ignition issues.
I wish I could help more, Tony.
E.P.
So, as I mentioned earlier, I have VAG COM cable, so went to Ross Tech website where I find there is a free shareware which allows one to view one fault code. Download, plug in car, clear history and voila, fault code revealed - 00513 RPM sensor.
Stil have intermittent ignition issue, but thats for another day.
Thanks
Tony 96 S6