97 1.8T Advice on upgrades / tweaks

Hi everone

just got myself one of thse fine cars. Just wanted to know what upgrades I can do to get a little better performance. I already plan on getting a KN filter but what about the rest?

- I want to get a chip, but which is the best one? Garret or APR?

- I already have a high flow muffler that will be installed shortly

- as far as the turbo is concerned, are there any mods or settings i can tweak myself under the hood?

any help will be greatly appreciated! thanks :)

Reply to
Ash Mann

The turbo likes cool, well-filtered air. If it's the oil-n-foam type, you may well see shorter turbo life. Turbo replacement is expensive - stick with OEM, if you can.

A high-flow muffler might help a little, but not much. Full exhaust will produce bigger gains (for bigger outlay, of course.)

Either company will give you 20-30 extra ponies, no problem. Both have good reputations. I'm going to go Garrett, but you might like APR better.

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Ash, Spider is right about the cool, well filtered air, but from what I hear, air/oil filters have a tendency to deposit a thin layer of sticky oil on the wires in the mass airflow sensor, which then melt, necessitating a new MAF = $$$$$. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - QLCC installed last week - still grinning... 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears