97-99 A6 Was this recall serious ?

Recall 1997-1999 A6 for "free check for possible damage of the rubber bellows of the front axle. The problem could lead to premature wear and, in
isolated cases, to the failure of the bearing arm."
I have discovered that this free inspection was never carried out on my 1998 A6. They can't check it until next Tuesday, I have a long journey to make on the following Thursday.
Does anyone know what the likelihood that this inspection may lead to some serious work being required and hence jeoprdising my chances of using the car a few days later.
TIA Stuart
1998 A6 1.8T Auto UK
I have a 99 avant and have never heard of this recall. Is it UK only? Larry

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/ in the car-by-car breakdown section.
When I made further enquiries with the dealer, they confirmed that this inspection was outstanding for my car. The dealer just input the registration to check the recall status, the reason that they did not contact anyone before was because it was coming back as owner unidentified.
I wonder why they did not perform this check when the car was serviced by the main dealer, simply inputting in the registration would seem a simple admin task.
I cannot answer for your car, but I suspect it may be worth further investigation.
Stuart
In typed:

Here in Sweden i contacted my local Audi-shop a few months ago bout this, and was told the recall would take place late summer. Havent heard diddley squat yet...*hmm*
--
Gio
A4 Sedan Limo1.8T tt 97.5

I will let you know the outcome. Stuart

Unfortunately did not get any other information other than they checked the ball joints. Stuart
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:51:56 +0100, "Stuart"

I didn't know about this one - despite getting loads of Junk mail from Audi!
M.