97 A4 1.8t - Immobilizer quick question

Hi... I have a 97 A4 1.8T.... the key has that black immobilizer chip in it....however, I have read elsewhere that this system was not implemented on North American cars back then.... Can anyone confirm this?

So can I just get a key from a local supplier without this chip?

Reply to
Ash Mann

Correct. Up until 2002, the A4 did not have an immobilizer in North America.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete