97 A4 - How to tell if I have keyless entry system

Hi!
I own a 97 A4 1.8 that I purchased recently. Anyway, I bought a keyless entry remote for it off the net and now I am trying to program it but it
doesn't seem to work. Its the 3 button remote with the switchblade key and red panic button on the side.
So anyhow, I was wondering how I can check whether this thing even has a Keyless entry system or not? I know it sounds weird, but I called the dealer and they say that they cant tell me by checking the serial #etc.... so what to do!?
is there a way to check if your car has teh keyless entry system?!

plug a VAG-COM into it?

and
It wasn't available when I bought mine new in '97! I had an after market gizmo fitted.... Peter in Oz

#etc....
My '97 A3 has the keyless entry system. Apparently (although I haven't checked) there is some kind of box under the drivers set that controls the system. Maybe you should look under there and see what you find.