97 A4 - Why no option for the light bulb on the right rear side?

Hi - I went to replace a light bulb on my a4 this weekend and came accross the strangest thing...
On the right side rear, the inner most light (narrow red), the harness
can accept a bulb, but the plastic bulb shileds seem blocked for the bulb. Meaning if you pluged a bulb into the harness you would not be able to plug the harness into the shield.
Was looking on ebay and say someone selling a matching OEM set, and sure enough, theirs was the same way, the left side could accept the bulb, but it was blocked on the right.
Any ideas?

Rear fog lamp. One side only (drivers side, I believe)...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
"Dave" wrote

Most European cars have the rear fog light only on the driver's side so that people don't confuse it with the brake lights.
Pete

I don't know about other countries, but in the UK, a nearside fog lamp is permitted, but often not fitted. I don't think that the reason for this is as you suggest, but rather simply the marginal cost. If fog lights are to be useful, surely two are better than one? Unfortunately, the reality is that that would, in practice, probably mean two to be abused instead of just one...
Peter.

Yep if you save a penny in a bulb, penny, in the extra wire, and a few pence in the man hours saved not fitting all the above, multiplied up by a million cars is 30,000, multiplied by all the other places they've saved a penny (clips instead of screws x numerous places etc etc) and you've made a hell of a saving in the year.
I'm contemplating enabling the left hand 'fog' on the 80 and then convert the fogs to brakes and fogs to brakes [1]. Currently the car uses twin filament bulbs for the brake lights and I prefer them on a seperate bulb for clarity, and the fogs just being 'brighter' rear lights [2]. The secondary bonus is that you can then pre 'arm' the foglight then switch on the sidelights which I've always found to be very effective against tailgators.
[1] Assuming there are no legal 'issues' of having the brake lights on the tailgate and not on the main body. [2] My old Cavalier came from the factory like this and I liked the idea.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.