98 A4 Quattro 2.8 died at a Stop Light

Hi all,
While stopped a traffic light this morning the engine started running rough and then simply died. I attempted to restart it without success. I had just driven 50 miles without any issues.
The car has 114K miles and has had the timing belt changed as well as all the schedule maintenance performed.
Can anyone give me any idea what could be the cause of this problem ? It is at a dealership now and I would like to get an idea of what I am in for.
thanks in advance,
jim
If it died slowly I would guess a bad fuel pump or its relay. still could be many things.
jpmichelson wrote:

including water in the fuel tank, bad fuel filter...
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding
If your car is at the dealership, I can tell you what you are in for: You will pay about 3x what a capable independent would charge.
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____"
--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding
<HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR></HEAD> <BODY style="MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Tahoma">If your car is at the dealership, I can tell you what you are in for: You will pay about 3x what a capable independent would charge.</BODY></HTML>
--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____--
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____--

fwiw, you really need help properly configuring your newsreader.
Ask your room mate...
<DIV>If your car is at the dealership, I can tell you what you are in for: You will pay about 3x what a capable independent would charge. </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>While this is true, it may take an independant 3 x longer to diagnose the fault, and 2 x longer to fix the problem, somtimes it's worth paying Audi to fix your car, especially when it just dies.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial>Servicing etc I would take to a ind anyday</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=