'98 A6 2.8 SE Turn signal fault

Sometimes the front indicators on both sides play up by winking at twice the normal rate on the dash. The manual states that this indicates a fault. When it happens the rear and side indicators show but the front doesn't.

Does this mean the fault is with the front indicator?

Sometimes it is o/s and sometimes n/s but never together. When I press the hazard light switch that works ok.

The only way I've found to clear the fault is to remove the offending flasher bulb and then replace. Not rocket science but it works although its a pain having to remove the air intake to get to the o/s all the time.

Is it anything to do with the relay?

Is there a loose connection although it worries that botyh sides can be affected, highly coincidental in my opinion?

Is this a particular problem with the A6?

Any suggestions on how to sort permanently?

Thanks

Ray England

Reply to
Ray L

[...]

The front sockets frequently melt at the contacts.

Reply to
JPF

I have a '99A6 and had a similar problem to what you describe. I found that one of the contacts looked as though it was not making good contact and there must have been some arcing taking place. The metal was disfigured and heavily oxidized. I cleaned it up (both terminals) and it worked fine. It was very difficult to reach the terminal in the housing, but I managed to get to it with sandpaper and a screwdriver. Hope this helps.

Stu '99 A6 Avant

Ray L wrote:

Reply to
Stu Hedith