'98 audi quattro A8 for $9500. What do you guys think???

I found a '98 Audi A8 Quattro w/ 49K miles. From what I've read initially, it's a pretty reliable car with good gas mileage. I know it's a good price, but is it worth it for someone that doesn't want to spend ALOT on maintenace? My only worry, as you could probably guess, is the maintenance cost. Is there any way around that, perhaps by purchasing 'generic' parts and taking it to a less-costly garage? Or will the maintenace always be high, regardless of what I do? Out of curiosity, does Audi offer an extended warranty, even if the car's not purchased from an Audi dealeship?

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe

If you don't want to spend a lot on maintenance, buy a Lexus. And I'm only half joking! I don't have any knowledge of A8's specifically, but in general, any Audi (or BMW or Mercedes-Benz) is going to require more stringent maintenance than a comparable Lexus or Acura... You can certainly buy parts at less-expensive aftermarket places, and there are probably used or rebuilt parts available as well. Finding an independent garage shouldn't be too difficult either, depending on where you live. But go into it with your eyes open!

Audi doesn't offer extended warranties but there are planety of companies out there that do. I plan to ourchase one for my car when I get closer to the expiration of my warranty.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I'm looking for the most "bang for the buck" and I'm not looking for a specific car, and that's why the Audi interested me. I'm searching for something that's around $10K and when I saw the audi for $9500 (with a KBB value of over $20K), I became interested in it. But I'm not searching for a particular vehicle. From experience, do extended auto warranties help you from paying for maintenance when you need to change something that'll come out expensive?

Reply to
Joe

Well, Joe, when a car is selling for less than half of it's book value, that should tell you soomething right there....! Especially with low mileage.... Makes you wonder a bit....