!986 5000TQ front shocks

I changed recently my front shock the hard way - by removing the complete strut assembly, because of Hayness book advice. Having done it I have the suspicion that the shocks could have been replaced easier, without removing
the strut, by just undoing the retaining cap (special wrench) and undoing the three studs on the smaller upper triangular bracket, sitting atop of the upper strut support (under the hood). In the course of the repair I had a chance to clean the teeth of the CV joints' ABS wheels and so fixed the ABS intermittent light, so there is nothing to be sorry about, yet I am curious : could it have been done simpler? Plamen, Toronto
Yes. BTDT like you did on a previous type 44.
Since then on the Audi World forum there have been a number of people talking about how easy it is to change the shocks in the front in the manner you describe. Apparently the only issue is holding the top of the rod while tightening the bolt. There is a special tool for this that is supposedly included with Blitzen shocks.
Live and learn : )
Tony '91 100Q 5spd 107 K on the clock
Petkan wrote:

Special tools? Mine are a huge pair of Channel-Lok pliers, a pipe to put over the handle of said pliers, and an impact wrench for the top nut. Takes about 20 minutes on a bad day. It pays just over an hour. The only time I ever pull a strut is if the top bearings are bad. You can even replace the boot by reaching through the spring.