99 1.8T - which sparks?

I'm going to replace the spark plugs on my 99 1.8T.

I am a shadetree mechanic at best, but I need to keep my maintainance costs down, and I'm willing to turn a wrench to do it. I had all the belts replaced by a reputable mechnic (including the TB), but a couple months after that I noticed a drop in performance, and since I'm pushing 90K miles I think it's time to replace the sparks, filters and maybe even the wires (opinions?). There is nothing in the owners manual recommending brand/type of sparks, other than to purchase it from my AUDI dealership. Yea, sure I'll do that.... (not).

Could someone please recommend a brand/type of spark, and also please let me know the torque setting required? I live in the USA. Thanks !

Reply to
GravyCat

Just remove one of your old plugs to get the number. Also Advanced Auto Parts has listings for VW's. Since you got 90k on the engine I would do the timing belt REAL SOON because if it breaks you have a bunch of bent valves to the tune of about $1500-$2000. Some early 99's required updating the t-belt tensioner pulley which is sold by a kit.

Reply to
Woodchuck

GSF car parts state for 1.8T these are the OEM plugs SPARKPLUG-F7LTCR A4

1.6 / 1.8 / 1.8T / 2.6 / 2.8 Ex. 30v 3.00

And for 2.6/2.8 v6 its this SPARKPLUG-FGR7DQE A4 2.4 / 2.8 V6 AGA/AJG/ALF/ACK/ALG Engs. 3.90

As for torque settings, I don't know.

cheers

Ron

Reply to